Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Want to see a killer PC for recording

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Nov 2009, 18:43

I finally got this thing I had custom buit for the studio from the guys at CyberPower PC in California. Needless to say it is a speed demon. It runs the new 64bit Windows 7 and luckly all my hardware already has drivers out. It is such a joy not having to fight crashes, dropouts and latency issue anymore. I can run up to 250 tracks with 250 VST plug-ins at 50% CPU....no shit. It is making recording fun now since I have the power to execute many studio tricks.

I will probably now move away from rock and move more towards the Pink Floyd stuff I love doing. For you guys interested or understand here are the specs and some pics of it.

• BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter
• CD: LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• CAS: Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window & MultiMeter Display (Black Color)
• CASUPGRADE: 12in (Blue Color) Cold Cathode Neon Light
• CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case (Blue Color)
• CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9770 @ 3.20GHz 1600FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
• FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
• FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
• HDD: Single Hard Drive (1.5TB (1.5TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
• HDD2: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 4 Identical Hard Drives (2TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
• IEEE_CARD: IEEE 1394 CARD AND DRIVER
• KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
• MOUSE: Microsoft® Wireless Optical IntelliMouse® USB & PS/2 Compactible
• MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
• MONITOR: 24' LCD - Asus VH242H Wide Screen TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (Black)
• MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 CrossFire Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN
• MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader )
• NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels
• NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
• OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional (64-bit Edition)
• POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster 850 Watts Real Power Pro - Quad SLI Ready
• TEMP: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display (Black Color)
• TVRC: None
• USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
• VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA
• XWNC1: Zonet ZEW2546 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Draft 2.0 USB 2.0 Wireless USB Adapter

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Want to see a killer PC for recording

Postby DeanM » 24 Nov 2009, 04:22

man that looks like an awesome piece of kit!! :clap
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 08 Dec 2009, 11:43

Cool!!
Surf , does your guitar rig 4 operates on 64 bit windows 7 ?
My new notebook also got 64 bit windows 7. (toshiba l555 10T)
On there site i only see XP and vista.
The speed of my new computer is unreal and i wonder if any guitar
hardware ( axe FX, digidesingn Eleven rack) can compete .......
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Dec 2009, 12:05

Works beautiful with Windows 7 64 bit as does my new version of Sonar 8.5. Windows 7 runs much faster and stable than that Vista shit, Vista was the enemy with recording gear and drivers. So far so good as all my gear has windows 7 drivers already. So yes you windows 7 laptop should be fine. The only thing I would be concerned with is most laptops drives only go 5400 rpm and that may be a issue, if it is simple get a 7200rpm external drive and install and run from it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 08 Dec 2009, 12:28

surfnorthwest wrote:Works beautiful with Windows 7 64 bit as does my new version of Sonar 8.5. Windows 7 runs much faster and stable than that Vista shit, Vista was the enemy with recording gear and drivers. So far so good as all my gear has windows 7 drivers already. So yes you windows 7 laptop should be fine. The only thing I would be concerned with is most laptops drives only go 5400 rpm and that may be a issue, if it is simple get a 7200rpm external drive and install and run from it.
I am not very technical :Embaresed but my hard disk is 500 Gb and
works indeed at 5400 Rpm.What kind of problems would this give?
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 08 Dec 2009, 12:55

blues, I'm afraid that Axe-FX has more power than that.

THe problem with computers is, that they need an operating system. And drivers. And user interface.

Axe-fx needs maybe a 1% of power to spend on these things compared to Windows 7. That means, it has left 99% to run effects.

It may only have a two core 2GHz processor, probably similar to 2GHz Core 2 Duo, but...

... windows 7 eats some power, drivers eats A LOT OF power, and then there is only some left for effects. And to have a good latency and all you need a very pricey computer, still Axe-FX's algorythms is pretty much more than any PC I have heard, I can compare it simply by ears and tell...

Surf will probably swear by Guitar Rig 4 but I don't share same enthusiasm. It is pretty pretty good. But still, a Class5 amp kicks it in pants IMHO. And so does Axe-fx... It just doesn't respond the same to me.

my 2 cents.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bluesbrother » 09 Dec 2009, 09:17

From what i have red about the axe -fx is that it has a dynamic responce
system built in to behave and react as a tube amp.
It puzzles me why they collaborate with atomic amps and have a 6l6 tube-
poweramp monitor made for it. When it is so good why would one need a
tubepoweramp .... :doh instead of a high powered PA????
I am really curious how it would sound through the return of the vintage
modern.
I know it is the best one to get but it is way overpriced in my opinion.....
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 09 Dec 2009, 12:56

Well... They simulate not only circuit of tube amp but something most modelers don't mind to - a tube. And not every tube, they simulate vintage Mullards. There is a thing called fractal, which is basically a type of mathematical function. It seems like whole universe was "programmed" with fractals. A tree is typical fractal. A cloud is other form of fractal. Looks like whole nature is a very sophisticated fractal. And they used these fractals to emulate the reaction of tubes to different frequencies, gain, and all...

Fractals are btw used in applications like 3D Studio Max (a 3D animating program, in which 3D animated cartoons like Cars, or Wall-E were made) does have a plugin which by using fractals creates 3D models of trees. You enter age of tree and it "Growths" the tree to correct proportions. And it looks very good, with a little fiddling you couldn't tell if it is a photo or a computer rendered picture....

So Axe-Fx uses these fractals to model a tube, which is very smart IMHO and as result it feels pretty much the same as a tube amp. Because they emulate not only tone stack and/or speaker, they really tried hard to emulate tube in every aspect.

Why they supply Atomic Reactor? That is simple. Guitar players don't like to play through flat response full range systems with solid state amplifiers. The atomic reactor makes it feel real in a gig. Cause you probably wouldn't like the way Axe-Fx sounds through some probably cheap stage monitors. And when you want to gig in a club, there probably are no. So you have this Atomic Reactor which makes Axe-FX a very sophisticated amp with great effects. Had I 3000EUR I would be buying one in no time along with Rocktron All Access and also would get custom made tube power amps and cabinets. But I don't have the money right now. Ces't la vie (or how is that spelled)

my 2 cents :-D
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 02 Feb 2010, 05:37

Check these out:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I wouldn't mind having a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx in my home studio. I think it's awesome.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”