DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post Production etc

Postby DeanM » 27 Feb 2010, 14:51

Hi guys!

was just wondering about some post production techniques for recording. i was wondering how it would work if say i had recorded some tracks to my 8track recorder. it has an effects send so i think i mite be able to use that during mixing, im not certain. I know its common to add reverd to a track later on in production for example or compression to pull the track together. i was wondering how it would sound if i say put a compressor stomp box such as keeley compressor in the loop when mixing? would that sound ok?

i also got to thinkin, i have sonar producer. Can Surf or anyone else tell me what the effects in that are like? can it do all that aswel yeah?

was just wondering earlier on and thought i see what you guys think!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Post Production etc

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Feb 2010, 18:09

Man I could talk hours on this subject but I will just cut to the chase.

1. Buy a powerful PC and run the DAW under Windows 7 or XP not VISTA
2. Record things right the first time so you are not spending time fixing screw ups but rather polishing your mix
3. All DAWs including SONAR come with some effects and mastering tools you can assign to each track or to the entire mix, some of it is OK but you will need better VSTs and add ons later (PM me when ready) :whatever
4. The best bang for the buck to master your mix (reverb, eq, limiters, exciters, compression, widening effects) is a add on software package called Ozone. Works great for the money and really all you need.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 27 Feb 2010, 18:40

surfnorthwest wrote:Man I could talk hours on this subject
by all means!

1) god no i HATE vista!! my laptop is prob what il run it on and its not the best but will have to do. 2.0ghz dual core, 2gig ram(maybe go to 4gig if needs be) and will be usin firewire. would that work do you know? would i have any issues? Its worth noting that i will prob be running a lite version of Xp. its called Xp Tiny and on idle only uses 50mb of ram!!!!! it basically has all the crap ya dont need or use stripped out!

2) good point!! fingers crossed eh!!

3) will do!

4) il look into that program! does it run within sonar or do you import the files from sonar into that and mix/master from there?

thanks surf! appreciate the feedback!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Feb 2010, 18:45

DeanM wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:Man I could talk hours on this subject
by all means!

1) god no i HATE vista!! my laptop is prob what il run it on and its not the best but will have to do. 2.0ghz dual core, 2gig ram(maybe go to 4gig if needs be) and will be usin firewire. would that work do you know? would i have any issues? Its worth noting that i will prob be running a lite version of Xp. its called Xp Tiny and on idle only uses 50mb of ram!!!!! it basically has all the crap ya dont need or use stripped out!

2) good point!! fingers crossed eh!!

3) will do!

4) il look into that program! does it run within sonar or do you import the files from sonar into that and mix/master from there?

thanks surf! appreciate the feedback!
Well the only way to know for sure if it will run it is to try it and see what issue you have. Everything has to work together from your interface to your software... Try it and let me know if you have issues. I would never run mine on a laptop but it can be done if you are just doing some simple recording for sure.

The master software runs inside SONAR once installed. So as you monitor your tracks or entire mix you can master on the fly in real time will your track or mix is playing back to hear the changes.

I swear I need to find some time and do some videos on this for you guys.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

johnny d
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby johnny d » 01 Mar 2010, 18:06

That would be great if you could do some vids.
Amps-
Marshall 2466 w/ Matching 425B
Vht/Fryette Deliverance 120
Mills Acoustics 4x12 Afterburner cab
Marshall SL-5
Bogner Alchemist w/ Matching 2x12 Cab
Peavey VTM 120 w/ Peavey 4x12 Cab

Guitars-
Gibson LP
ESP 400 series Strat
ESP Traditional Strat
ESP Eclipse