Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

DI Box, be or not to be?

Postby HappyBlues » 09 Mar 2010, 01:29

Hi guys. I run my guitars straight into -10db line input of my M-Audio Delta44. I found out that Guitar Rig 4, praised by some people sounds really bad. Not like an amp at all. Muddy and all whatsoever bad.

Is it because I run high impedance signal into relatively low impedance input? Would DI box make Guitar Rig sound much more like guitar rig?

Thanks for any valuable input.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: DI Box, be or not to be?

Postby DeanM » 09 Mar 2010, 13:26

yeah a guitar plugged direct needs a high impedance as oposed to a mic input which would need low impedance. i dont know if thats why it sounds bad but in general you plug a guitar into the "hi-z" input. both my firewire interface and my 8track digital recorder have a "hi-z" switch for when pluggin the guitar straight in. but i dont know anything bout the hardware you mention!

i was thinking about this today belive it or not!! see normally in electronics with voltage amplifiers n stuff you want to feed a high input impedance with a low output impedance etc etc i havent researched it but as far as i know with microphones they act as a current transducer which means that they produce a current when the diaphram moves and hence would normally be fed into a low impedance.

so yeah guitar jack into hi-z basically!!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: DI Box, be or not to be?

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Mar 2010, 18:00

Perhaps this question would be better asked on the forums for Guitar Rig. I have Guitar Rig 4 and it can do some amazing things. IMO it really is a studio tool more than anything because you can record your amp on one track then split that guitar sound so it captures the guitar only on another. This allows you then to fine tune the tone and effects post production which is really cool.

When I use GR 4 I go through my RME FIreface 800 and honestly I think I am running the input on that at +4. I do not know what the DI box that comes with GR 4 is set at but I am sure they can tell you over at that forum. There is so much tweaking you can do with that program but it is one of those that you will spend an entire year learning how to do it and get it right unless you have a experienced user showing you. Don't give up on it and use that forum to get some support. I have been able to get some great tones out of it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... y.php?f=75
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”