Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Radial JDI

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Apr 2010, 18:17

Spent some time today in a amazing recording studio that was just recently finished. One of the things I had interest in learning was how they recorded guitar amps. The key to all of it was this Radial JDI DI box they used, very cool little box.

Basically what I seen them do was very clever. First they mic'd up the cabinet and recorded it on one track, no fancy expensive mics simply a single SM57 in the sweetspot. The guitar player and engineer worked together to nail the perfect position by monitoring the sound through headphones as the guitar player played.

Next they used the other output to put a total dry signal on another track. Once the track was recorded he used a guitar program to dial in another tone with the software to enhance the original track..... very interesting. Then he took that track and backed it off by 10m/s which created that "wide huge" sound, amazing what that little trick does.

I know this is basic re-amping but it was the first time I seen it used with excellent results. There were some other tricks with the eq I learned that I never thought of before. Great day of learning some good stuff.

I ordered one of these Radial JDI boxes immediatly after I got out of there and going to use the JMD as my preamp to color a re-amp dry track with the VM as the primary track.

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Radial JDI

Postby DeanM » 07 Apr 2010, 00:44

that sounds cool! I was actually gonna post about sometin very similar! my interface has two mic pre's and one is switchable to a Hi-z input so was thinkin of making an AB/Y box. have A goin to the amp which is mic'd with an sm57 and have B go direct to the Hi-z input. that way i could record the sound of the amp and also record a total dry track direct from the guitar which could then be manipulated with GR4 or amplitube 3!

I was gonna ask can you use thse plug ins on a track thats already recorded or are they only run during recordiing?
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Apr 2010, 05:40

Yes you can use the plugin to color the recorded track but there are better options for a already recorded track. Doing the dry track is the idea and the sky is the limit as far as your options there. At the very least it will be fun to experiment with.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 07 Apr 2010, 12:38

better options??

yeah id say it wold be alot of fun! VM giving the core sound and then a lil somethin on the side to spice it up a bit! could get all sorts of stereo sounds such as bonamassa's type of thing but with out all the amps! but while still having a real amp as the main tone and the rest for effect!

how long till the VM vst? :) with the launch of the JMD1 marshall has captured digitally some of their most famous sounds! so i would imagine the digital processing they use to get those sounds could be evolved into some kind of vst or sometin! wouldnt have to be guitar rig scale but just a cheap package of maybe 20 of their amps! and since digital modelling is getting better all the time...how awesome would that be!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Apr 2010, 13:27

By using re-amping it is my intent to experiment the JMD as a plugin
for my next song. The JMD is becoming my favorite amp. I am done with my first song using the JMD exclusivly. Got a nice clean chorus tone and a hot flange tone cooking on that one, might post it tonight.

I am excited about using the Metro Plexi with the DI box also for re-amping.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 09 Apr 2010, 17:03

yeah post the JMD1 clip and do a metro reamped clip! no sleep till both are posted!! haha!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Apr 2010, 19:37

DeanM wrote:yeah post the JMD1 clip and do a metro reamped clip! no sleep till both are posted!! haha!
I did already, 2 days posted 40 views and zero comments, (sigh, maybe it was the Pink Floyd style again) so that is one of the silence speaks loudly things. Tired of posting that stuff anymore, makes me think others think I am fishing for some compliments or something.

I just need to keep entertaining myself becasue if I like it thats all that matters to me.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 10 Apr 2010, 06:34

well surf i didn even know you posted it! sometimes people only have time for a quick browse and maybe not have time to write comments. iv posted threads that got no replies either!

il make my way over there now and have a listen!!

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”