Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Software for mixing tracks?

Postby LivewireBlanco » 15 May 2010, 17:46

At our last live show the venue recorded our band and gave us the tracks and I'm needing some advice on a program to mix it. They are all on wave file and are of each individual instrument. This is pretty much gonna be a one time thing so I don't want something really expensive but rather something easy to work with and able to put it all together for me from my home pc. Any suggestions?
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Software for mixing tracks?

Postby surfnorthwest » 15 May 2010, 20:30

Zip the files and email it to me. I will import them and master the tracks and mix for you. Or you could spend a bunch of money and get all pissed off and frustrated trying to learn how to do it, your call
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor

Postby LivewireBlanco » 16 May 2010, 01:56

surfnorthwest wrote:Zip the files and email it to me. I will import them and master the tracks and mix for you. Or you could spend a bunch of money and get all pissed off and frustrated trying to learn how to do it, your call
HA HA, how about $40, Cakewalk and 4 hours later I have a bad ass live CD and now know how to mix an album! :tounge

I'm sure with practice it could be better, but I love the hands on experience and learning how to do stuff. It helps that I paid attention to our sound engineer when we did our first album. Thanks for the offer Surf. I may post one of the tracks here after some shut eye. :sleep

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 16 May 2010, 03:23

yeah post em! be cool to hear how well you mixed em! id also say email surf a few tracks anyway and see what he comes up with! might be cool to have an alternate mix! ya could put it at the end of the CD as a bonus track!! haha!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 16 May 2010, 07:18

Just buy Cakewalk SONAR Home Studio then. Import the mix for each tack making sure the timing is correct. Leave the Master on 0.0 and then start mixing from there. Understand you can add effects like compression and limiters to the Master or to each track individually. Of course if you mix with your computer speakers and not good studio monitors you will have that handicap to deal with also.

You are correct that it is time to get your feet wet, today a musician has to be able to do this stuff. You will also find it very addictive and wallet sucking.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor

Postby LivewireBlanco » 16 May 2010, 10:06

I have to get permission from the rest of the band to post something on here. I could probably get away with posting a cover song since it's not ours. I didn't mix it extensively, just basically gave it a a good general sound, added a little EQ and made the levels about right.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 17 May 2010, 11:28

surfnorthwest wrote:Understand you can add effects like compression and limiters to the Master or to each track individually.
Thats what il be readin up on next! i recorded a track last weekend. a short 15sec clip. drums, 2 rhythms and 2 lead guitars. was mainly just messin around learnin to use the program! but it was cool! messed around with levels and panning and that sort of thing. so next i wanna read up and learn bout all that.
surfnorthwest wrote:You will also find it very addictive and wallet sucking.
So true!! haha!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”