Wafflezz
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help with recording Videos

Postby Wafflezz » 28 Jul 2010, 20:26

Hey all!
Every time I want to record a Youtube video, the guitar comes out all muffled and, well... Shitty sounding. I'm using the built in Mic on my Macbook Pro. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
~Dave
Guitars:
Customized Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro "Grumpy"
Epiphone Slash Goldtop
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Yngwie J. Malmsteen model
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Yamaha Acoustic
Amps:
Line 6 Spider Jam 7w
Marshall 2266 half-stack

amon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Re: Help with recording Videos

Postby amon » 28 Jul 2010, 22:13

Don't use the built in Mic.
For higher quality recordings you need a good mic and an audio interface. For a Mic I'd suggest the SM57 (or 58 which is just a 57 at a lower price) you can them on eBay for <80 bucks. There are a lot of audio interface choices. I'm quite happy with my M-Audio Fasttrack and my Mac but the Alesis IO series is good and not that expensive, too.

Cheers

Wafflezz
<25
<25

Postby Wafflezz » 29 Jul 2010, 01:31

amon wrote:Don't use the built in Mic.
For higher quality recordings you need a good mic and an audio interface. For a Mic I'd suggest the SM57 (or 58 which is just a 57 at a lower price) you can them on eBay for <80 bucks. There are a lot of audio interface choices. I'm quite happy with my M-Audio Fasttrack and my Mac but the Alesis IO series is good and not that expensive, too.

Cheers

I think my Dad just ordered a mic, the same one if I'm not mistaken. And I don't really need an interface, do I? Can't I just put the mic to my VM cab and plug the mic into my Macbook?
Guitars:
Customized Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro "Grumpy"
Epiphone Slash Goldtop
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Yngwie J. Malmsteen model
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Yamaha Acoustic
Amps:
Line 6 Spider Jam 7w
Marshall 2266 half-stack

amon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby amon » 29 Jul 2010, 06:11

Wafflezz wrote:
amon wrote:Don't use the built in Mic.

Cheers

I think my Dad just ordered a mic, the same one if I'm not mistaken. And I don't really need an interface, do I? Can't I just put the mic to my VM cab and plug the mic into my Macbook?
The Mic has a XLR plug which Macs don't have and audio interfaces tend to have better AD converters than common onboard soundcards. You can get nice interfaces for ~100 bucks.

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”