Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Shit canning my mics

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Aug 2010, 19:16

For years I have thrown good money on mics and pulled my hair out always trying to find the sweet spot for how the amp is set when recording. No more, the Radial JDX works like a charm and throws the true tone of the amp into your mixer or A/D converter.

Connect the amp out into the JDX and then another speaker cable to the cabinet to secure the load. Then run a XLR to your mixer or A/D converter and you have a great capture of the amp. I was worried it would not sound like the cabinet at all or a little harsh and it is neither. I also thought I would have to add some eq and while I probably will you do not need too.

Finally a way to capture the VM's tone without using a mic.

Highly recommended.

http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdx-development.htm

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

BNS
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Shit canning my mics

Postby BNS » 11 Aug 2010, 22:30

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but does sound still come out of the cabinet when the JDX is hooked up?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Aug 2010, 10:31

Yep, you won't even know it's there. Does a great job capturing your amps tone. Your sound guy can even eq it at the mixer if needed. The box somehow also uses the speakers, if you read the link it will explain that. Also it requires phantom power which is included.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 12 Aug 2010, 11:50

Sound clips?
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Aug 2010, 12:20

Just got it last night along with the new delay pedal so I haven't recorded a whole song with it yet. The little demo clip I made with the delay pedal last night was done using the JDX box and the VM so thats as much of a demo as I have right now.

http://www.marshallvintagemodern.com/vi ... f=5&t=5947

Trust me, its good stuff. Hey, you need to PM me with your Avatar name you want unless you like Attenuator Fan.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 12 Aug 2010, 15:42

That demo was pretty good man! kinda floydish IMO. nice soundin delay and came out pretty nice thru the JDX too!

If you get time, but no rush or anything, any chance you could record a demo and maybe doa run thru with the JDX like in that clip and then with same settings record thru an sm57 on the speaker? would be interesting to A/B em. If your not busy that is, i'm just curious cos that did sound pretty good!

Does that mean you'l be dumpin your mics?

Ha yeah i never even noticed it was avatar name time! Ha i may think of something first and get back to you!
Cheers
Dean

Here you go Dean
http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... =18&t=5954
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Return to “Recording Tips and Technique”