Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Joe Bonamssa in NYC review

Postby kissfanps » 16 Apr 2010, 04:58

Joe must have sold his soul to play the way he did last night at Town Hall in NYC. I went with my father, which was awesome because I originally started playing music because of him and he loves good guitar playing. The two of us sat there stunned last night at what Joe did with the guitar. I found myself shaking my head in disbelief that a human could pull off some of the riffs that were played. When he brought out the acoustic I knew it was Woke Up Dreaming time. I turned to my dad and said "watch this" (like the court scene in My Cousin Vinny, right before Marissa Tomei makes the prosecutor look like an idiot). Now, I have listened to Joe's live albums and seen some clips on the internet of this solo, but HOLY CRAP!!! Are sure it wasn't Joe playing the lightning boys solo at the end of Crossroads?

Now, I am a guitarist. Watching lasts nights demonstration makes me feel torn. On one hand, I witnessed a man pull influence from every great guitarist of each generation - BB, JP, EC, JH, EVH, RJ, EJ, etc. He took their styles to the next level and turned it into his own, the same way each of those guitar greats did the same from those who came before them. On the other hand, HOW THE HECK DOES SOMEONE TAKE JOE TO THE NEXT LEVEL? I feel like selling my gear and taking up underwater basket weaving or something. Well, not really, but almost!

It is just purely amazing the MANY different tones that man can make just with his fingers! It is been said before and I will say it again - tone is in the fingers. A good guitarist will sound good whether they are playing with a Les Paul through a plexi or 2x4 through a car stereo!
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Joe Bonamssa in NYC review

Postby frank9310 » 16 Apr 2010, 05:56

That's cool bro. Most of the clips I've ever seen of him he sounded mostly like Eric Johnson. Don't get me wrong. I like Eric Johnson a lot, just I've never heard any other influences in his sound other than EJ. I'll have to check him out some more if you're saying he sounds like he has several influences.
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 26 May 2010, 00:19

I saw him yesterday.. for the first time ... and definetly not the last. Haven't really checked him out that much but live he was awesome. I would say a cross between Gary Moore and Eric Johnson but he has his own thing going.
He used two half-stacks ... I think it was a DSL and a JVM. Both amps set at Clean channels (green light all around) so I'm guessing a lot of pedal action. But whatever amp he would have played through he would sound awesome. It's all in the fingers ...
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 26 May 2010, 04:08

DSL and a JVM? I guess he didn't have his normal rig.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby dos » 26 May 2010, 06:57

No, not his normal rig. I think they were JCM 2000s, a DSL and a TSL with a Palmer on top. Great, full, sweet sound, but the most amazing part was a 10 min + acoustic solo. Reminded me of Tommy Emmanuel or Di Meola. Very fast, rytmic, percussive for at least 10 minutes going. Appeared very high risk, completely "naked", but absolutely flawless execution - IMHO. That thing, for me, lifted him up into the virtuozo category, absolutely shocking and amazing. Really hoping it was taped.

Edit, lousy sound but still:

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 May 2010, 08:40

Talent on loan from God. What a great experience seeing the show with your Pops, love hearing that. You know there will always be performances you witness that makes you put your tail between your legs and question how far you have to go as a guitarist. This happens to me everytime I see Trower play.

But this should not be the case, you don't have to have the best chops in the world to play great music. As a song writer you music should grab the listener and if you have done that then then you are equally successful as Joe was in NY. You only are as good as your last original song.

You don't need to equal or exceed Joe's talent to make great music. The music comes from your heart and soul.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Fuggle
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Fuggle » 26 May 2010, 14:28

Got a chance to see Joe in NYC last year. I agree, he is awsome and chops are impeccable! However, there is something missing in his presentation. It is a little too mechanical and does not convey as much soul as someone like Trower (I saw him last year also) and other greats. He seems like a guitar nerd, which he is, with way more talent than feeling. Don't get me wrong, I would see him again and I love his music but I just can't put my finger on it why he isn't up there with the Claptons, Pages. Trower's etc.
Les Paul Standard with Lollar Imperials
78 Strat with Fralin Pickups
2006 Strat with Fralin Pickups
Mesa Boogie F-50
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960aCab (JCM800)
Marshall 425a Cab

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 26 May 2010, 15:05

Fuggle wrote:Got a chance to see Joe in NYC last year. I agree, he is awsome and chops are impeccable! However, there is something missing in his presentation. It is a little too mechanical and does not convey as much soul as someone like Trower (I saw him last year also) and other greats. He seems like a guitar nerd, which he is, with way more talent than feeling. Don't get me wrong, I would see him again and I love his music but I just can't put my finger on it why he isn't up there with the Claptons, Pages. Trower's etc.
I've seen a ton of concerts and lots of guitar players and I went to the show not very familiar with his catalogue.
A 2 hour blues show can get real booring real fast. Not the case here. I though he mixed it up really well and his presentation was excellent.
The acoustic interlude was fun and all around I though he gave a soulful "give-it-all" performence.
And let's not forget he can sing pretty good too !!!
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

dos
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby dos » 27 May 2010, 04:20

Fuggle wrote:Got a chance to see Joe in NYC last year. I agree, he is awsome and chops are impeccable! However, there is something missing in his presentation. It is a little too mechanical and does not convey as much soul as someone like Trower (I saw him last year also) and other greats. He seems like a guitar nerd, which he is, with way more talent than feeling. Don't get me wrong, I would see him again and I love his music but I just can't put my finger on it why he isn't up there with the Claptons, Pages. Trower's etc.
Funny how we we may see things differently. I thougth Bonamassa, though I think he may have evolved over the past few years as a friend of mine commented the show on tuesday was much better than the one here two years ago, but I found him to be both very soulful and expressive.

Clapton on the other hand I do not understand at all. To me he is highly overrated and how he has managed to remain among the guitar gods is more a branding/mass psyce thing than grounded in guitar-playing capability. Many good songs though. IMHO and potential blasphemy, I know..

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 May 2010, 06:43

Clapton on the other hand I do not understand at all. To me he is highly overrated and how he has managed to remain among the guitar gods is more a branding/mass psyce thing than grounded in guitar-playing capability. Many good songs though. IMHO and potential blasphemy
your not alone in that statement, I agree with you completly. Heck I thought I was the only one thinking that.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby frank9310 » 27 May 2010, 14:22

There's a new article about Bonamassa in this month's GW magazine. We all have different tastes. One thing for sure, the kid has and is paying his dues for many years.

I've never cared much for Clapton either except his early Cream stuff back in the day when we were all pot head hippies and the wah sounded incredible. I was impressed when he did the remake on Robert Johnson's record. I was surprised he could play that stuff.
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 27 May 2010, 17:15

frank9310 wrote: One thing for sure, the kid has and is paying his dues for many years.
Yes he has:

[youtube][/youtube]

And he is a very hard worker. He tours constantly and comes out with at least one new CD every year.
I think he showed much more diversity in his earlier days (pre Kevin Shirley produced CDs).

BTW, Clapton is god. :tounge

Fuggle
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Fuggle » 28 May 2010, 05:28

Guys, You all have points. I plan to get the latest Bonamassa Album and go see him again as soon as he is back in NYC. I just saw a you tube video of him and EC in Royal Albert Hall doing "Further Down the Road". It was awsome, the best rendition I have ever seen. He stole the show. Love that there is a young guitarist out there who really gets the blues!
Les Paul Standard with Lollar Imperials
78 Strat with Fralin Pickups
2006 Strat with Fralin Pickups
Mesa Boogie F-50
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960aCab (JCM800)
Marshall 425a Cab

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby frank9310 » 28 May 2010, 09:15

slowpokerhino wrote:
frank9310 wrote: One thing for sure, the kid has and is paying his dues for many years.
Yes he has:

[youtube][/youtube]

And he is a very hard worker. He tours constantly and comes out with at least one new CD every year.
I think he showed much more diversity in his earlier days (pre Kevin Shirley produced CDs).

BTW, Clapton is god. :tounge
Great video man! The kid has talent no doubt about it. Clapton though is god spelled backwards d-o-g :woot

Just a kinddin' I like hearing his catchy tunes but for me it's catchy tunes + kick ass guitar = Jimi!

Return to “Roadhouse Concerts Info and CD Reviews”