Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Thin Lizzy

Postby Bailz » 07 Jan 2011, 03:21

Saw Thin Lizzy kick off their UK tour last night in Aberdeen - great gig!

Gorham was on fire as ever and I was very surprised by Vivian Campbell. He looked to be well into it and really enjoying himself. Disappointed that Ricky Warwick was the only one using a Marshall but I suppose you can't have everything. Great to see Brian Downey on drums again.
Attachments
167098_485178213996_500333996_6132268_2223511_n.jpg
167098_485178213996_500333996_6132268_2223511_n.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Thin Lizzy

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jan 2011, 09:22

Would love to have a chance to see Thin Lizzy, even though very few original players. Gland you had a great time.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Bailz » 08 Jan 2011, 13:07

That's the third time I've seen them - twice with John Sykes. There's a lot of "discussion" about whether or not they should still be doing this without Phil. I just see it as keeping the music alive which is no less than it deserves.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 09 Jan 2011, 05:15

Went to see them last night in Newcastle. The show was completely sold out and 'The Union' were supporting.

Scott Gorham was his usual self and looking in great shape. He was showing me his "crack pipe" that he now uses to help keep him off the cigarettes!
Brian Downey is quite simply the only drummer that should be in the Thin Lizzy engine room for me. Unjustifiably underated for someone who has such a distinct style. I've actually told him this before, I don't care, it needs to be said!
Darren Wharton fits in to the Lizzy sound very well, even on the older stuff and I swear one of his intros had me thinking they were going to play Tarot Woman by Rainbow?!?! They didn't of course.
Viv Campbell fulfilled his role as Robbo/ Gary Moore/Snowy White admirably which of course is to be expected as he is a very capable player and a Lizzy fan in his youth.
Ricky Warwick did a surprisingly effective job on the vocals and copped Lynotts distinctive tones to the point where sometimes, if you closed your eyes, it could have been Phil.
Marco Mendoza is a competent player with an impressive track record but he brought some 80s hair metal vibe to the show which is not what Lizzy were about for me.

On the whole, for Lizzy fans it was a treat as they pulled no punches to try and capture their old vibe and they were LOOUUUD!!!!!!!!!!! This is not just an A league tribute band, they could well be the current line up if Phil was still with us (minus Ricky and Marco obviously).

The Union, as I've said before, are Luke Morley's new band and they were bloody great! With a song list that takes you on a journey of light and shade seldom heard in the last 30 or so years. Singer, Pete Shoulder, brings soul and an emotionally expressive quality to the table as well as being a fine guitarist and an award winning songwriter. Chris Childs is always a very solid and able bass player which is why he gets chosen to lend his talent to many bands. A fine drummer completes (whose name escapes me right now and it's bloody hard to find out online!) the line up and if there is any justice in the music world :bang they should go a lot further. Check these guys out. :Thumbs
Still my guitar gently weeps

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Jan 2011, 08:56

Scott Gorham was his usual self and looking in great shape. He was showing me his "crack pipe" that he now uses to help keep him off the cigarettes!
Good to hear Scott is still hanging in there.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby sugarkane » 27 Feb 2011, 17:40

Saw them in Leeds - really good night. \Re: controversy - give me a break. Scott Gorham was played, arranged and wrote for Lizzy on ... what, 11-12 albums? Brian Downey was on all of them and is the most underrated "name" drummer in Rock. Darren Wharton was a huge part of the later years and co-wrote their final album "Thunder & Lighning" - a mostly lost treasure (the singles releases didn't do it full justice). And they are obviously playing these songs with a lot of love and respect.

Bailz - "Disappointed that Ricky Warwick was the only one using a Marshall but I suppose you can't have everything". Any idea what Vivian Campbell was playing? Saw JCM 800s and Engls on-stage.

FWIW - If you enjoyed this and haven't seen "One Night in Dublin" DVD by Gary Moore it's highly recommended. A tribute to Phil Lynott it features Brian, Scott, Robbo, Eric Bell and has been regularly on British TV's Sky Arts channel. Sadly, now a last reminder of GM (in great form, as aways) as well as PL.

molodoi
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Postby molodoi » 12 Apr 2011, 02:45

SteveD wrote: The Union, as I've said before, are Luke Morley's new band and they were bloody great!
They were opening for Triggerfinger here in Belgium and the Netherlands. Unfortunately (for me), all shows were sold out before I could try getting a ticket :deney
SteveD wrote:if there is any justice in the music world :bang they should go a lot further. Check these guys out. :Thumbs
Thought the same about Thunder. But if their career was not that bad (in term of musical appreciation) they did not get the success they largely deserved (i used to consider Thunder as one of the most underrated band :bang )
Nous ne sommes ni des mécaniques, ni des possédés, nous sommes pires: libres (Molodoï)

Only a Gibson is good enough

Le Blues, c'est facile. Tu te mets dans un champ et tu cries Image

Return to “Roadhouse Concerts Info and CD Reviews”