Idea

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Idea

Postby kissfanps » 13 May 2008, 18:13

I just had an idea. Let me run it by you all. I have some sweet spots on my guitar pot that i love, but feel it would be hard to pin point on the fly (I can get close but not exact). Is it possible to create a box with a bunch of potentiometers each set to one of my sweet spots? Of course I would need to put switch to engage one pot and turn off the others, kind of like the channel switching system on the TSL. Would this work for what I want to achieve?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 13 May 2008, 21:28

Yeah just measure the resistance across your guitars volume pot in the positions you find your tonal happy place. and then (not positive here) you would just need to lay it out in a series with the corresonding resistors across stomp switches. a couple 1/4 cable jacks and a box. I think just a passive series circuit.

a nine volt and some led's would be cool too. Good luck and fwiw Im probably wrong here.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Idea

Postby SteveD » 14 May 2008, 00:11

kissfanps wrote:I just had an idea. Let me run it by you all. I have some sweet spots on my guitar pot that i love, but feel it would be hard to pin point on the fly (I can get close but not exact). Is it possible to create a box with a bunch of potentiometers each set to one of my sweet spots? Of course I would need to put switch to engage one pot and turn off the others, kind of like the channel switching system on the TSL. Would this work for what I want to achieve?
Seems like a bit of a cop out to me. Get more familiar and adept with your control of the guitar's volume. :) 8) :wink:

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 14 May 2008, 05:20

yeah i know it is! im getting better at the using the pot...only started when i really was exploring the vm and when i found out about doing it from this forum
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

steep
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby steep » 27 Dec 2008, 11:53

YEAH, I was just thinking the same. But with the VM amp.
How about to put in extra pots for "Detail" and "Body" and som relays to switch between these.
I guess this would operate like a channelswitch when these pots are set different.
And why the hell not also with the "Master Volume" to get two of those aswell.

Am I far out here????? :roll:

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 28 Dec 2008, 03:17

Welcome to the forum steep. :)

The Body and Detail functions are not like two separate channels, they are functionally bound together to enable better tonal tunability of the Vintage Modern's single channel.

Two Master Volumes takes away from the organic nature of the Vintage Modern and defeats the object of dynamic control.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to personalise your amp and there are companies out there who will do this for you. This subject has been debated here previously.

:)

steep
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby steep » 29 Dec 2008, 01:24

Hey SteveD, thanks for the warm welcome... :D

Maybe you misunderstood me. I am full aware of the functions of the body and detail, but if I had an extra set of body and detail pots i could have the "body pot #2" in a different position than the original body pot, and the "detail pot #2 in a different position than the original detail pot.
Then I could switch between the originals and the "#2 pots".
I will definately try it out when I get my amp.
And I hope that will be VERY SOOOON!

I guess for an extra "Mastervolume" it's better to go for a clean boostpedal in front of the VM......
Sorry if this subject is an old thread but I haven't seen it....

Thanks for the quick reply

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 29 Dec 2008, 06:39

steep wrote:.....but if I had an extra set of body and detail pots i could have the "body pot #2" in a different position than the original body pot, and the "detail pot #2 in a different position than the original detail pot.
Then I could switch between the originals and the "#2 pots".
You could add a nondestructive modification for switchable body and detail pots as there are dual concentric pots available that would allow this, and with smart design you could do it so that the amp could be restored to factory specs. I strongly believe if you are going to modify an amp, do it in a way that you don't drill up the chassis or hack up the PCB. If that is necessary, perhaps you should consider a different amp.
steep wrote: I guess for an extra "Mastervolume" it's better to go for a clean boostpedal in front of the VM......
I've found lately that if you carefully set up the VM, you don't really need switchable master volumes. You can set the low DR so that it just starts to overdrive when your guitar is on 10, and lower it to 8 or so for great clean tones. Then when you switch to high DR, the volume change isn't too great but you get lots more gain. Using a boost pedal doubles your tone options set up like this. The VM is deceptively versatile and can take a bit of experimentation to get tweaked to perfection.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”