another failing tube question

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Re: another failing tube question

Postby Anitoli » 17 Jul 2013, 13:18

ClassicRock88 wrote:The 800's caps are about 7 years old I believe. I have had it for about 2 years and the owner told me he thought the caps were 5 years old when I got it.

The Granger I have no idea. I assume that they are however old the amp is but I do not have a way to date it.

Wouldn't it be an odd coincidence for me to have filter caps going out on two separate amps?
Yeah that doesnt sound quite old enough and both amps, too coincidental.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Jul 2013, 13:37

You can date the Granger by looking at the transformer bottom. Curt signs his name and dates it there. Or call him with the seriel number.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor
Has Liked: 404 times
Been liked: 599 times

Postby ClassicRock88 » 17 Jul 2013, 15:36

I actually did talk to Curt about the amp. In discussing how I was going to get my Bassman to him for work I told him about the M100 and he said it was built in 2010. So that definitely isn't old enough for the caps to be failing.

Anitoli - Yes the guitar is a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom. My college grad present from my whole family.

michael_dba
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 109 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby michael_dba » 17 Jul 2013, 16:10

Well I swapped the preamp tubes and no change....gotta be the power tubes.

You guys got me thinking about the caps...mine are only a few years old on the JMP clone, but the sounds you describe are what I am hearing.

Awhile ago the amp did redplate for about 40 minutes at a gig...bias was too high and it ran away and went to 10! The ohm sleector was wrong for the speakers my friend was running too. It was a medium sized theater so it sounded pretty awesome! All I have done since is just rebias (correctly!). So far it seems the Merc trannies survived.

Looks like the power tubes are next to swap.

Otherwise the amp sounds really good.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Marshall 2266
Marshall '78 JMP 50 2204's head and combo
Marshall Class 5
Marshall clone PTP amps - 1987, 1959SL
Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature Double Jet
Fender USA Lonestar Stratocaster
...too much other stuff
"Malcolm is a genius!"

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 20 Jul 2013, 14:08

ClassicRock88 wrote:I actually did talk to Curt about the amp. In discussing how I was going to get my Bassman to him for work I told him about the M100 and he said it was built in 2010. So that definitely isn't old enough for the caps to be failing.

Anitoli - Yes the guitar is a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom. My college grad present from my whole family.
I asked because Gibson's use a conductive paint inside the control cavity,put a metal film shield on the inside of the cover plate, and use metal screws to attach it to the body. This arrangement is for shielding but it can also cause sporadic electrical popping noises as the guitar is moved across your body by picking up static charges. Usually this only occurs in winter months when the air is cold and dry, not in hotter more humid summer air. Can you try the amp with a different guitar such as a Strat and see if you still get the noise?

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor

Postby ClassicRock88 » 21 Jul 2013, 09:06

Anitoli -

I am out of town this week but I will try that when I get back. The other guitars I have are an Austin Les Paul clone, an Ibanez Artcore (hollow body) and a Charvel Model 6 with Jackson active HSS arrangement pickups. Which do you think would be the best to try? The Charvel?

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 21 Jul 2013, 12:41

The Charvel would be a good one, as long as there isnt any ground connection one the back as in a screw like the Gibson has. Just a thought as this issue drove me nuts for a while until if figured out the source of the pops. Now that in know its due to the Gibson's setup i just ignor it.

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor

Postby ClassicRock88 » 21 Jul 2013, 13:20

The Charvel is grounded to the trem claw by a thick black wire. I will try that guitar. The loud crackles are usually when I move it.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 21 Jul 2013, 13:25

ClassicRock88 wrote:The Charvel is grounded to the trem claw by a thick black wire. I will try that guitar. The loud crackles are usually when I move it.
Yeah i pulled a pic as im not familiar with that guitar and that will work, similar to a Strat set up. When you say move it are you only referring to the LP?

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor

Postby ClassicRock88 » 21 Jul 2013, 19:43

Yes I was referring to the LP.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”