Ultra Linear Output Transformer

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

david90678
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Ultra Linear Output Transformer

Postby david90678 » 17 Aug 2013, 02:39

Hi everyone,

I am considering building an amp of my own, based on an 18W Marshall, and my guitar dealer advised me to look into Ultra Linear Output Transformers, so, what can you tell me about this type of operation in the power stage of an amp?

Many thanks,

David

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Re: Ultra Linear Output Transformer

Postby burnsy » 17 Aug 2013, 02:52

Take a look at www.ampmaker.com. I made their 18w amp which is based on the Marshall circuit and it sounds brilliant. Barry at Ampmaker was able to supply everything and is a very helpful guy.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: Ultra Linear Output Transformer

Postby MKB » 27 Aug 2013, 13:25

IIRC, an ultralinear amp has an additional pair of taps that connect to the screen grid of the output tubes. There are basically 5 wires from the primary, two for the output tube plates, and two for the output tube screen grids. This configuration is popular in very high power amps (the Marshall Major is ultralinear, as well as many early Sunn and late seventies Fender amps).

The reason for it is the power tubes are operated in semi-class A mode, which gives you a lower output impedance and lower distortion. But you also get the benefit of higher output power for a given tube and plate voltage than you would with the tube in class A, like you would with a pentode configuration.

FWIW, I haven't heard or seen many good comments on older ultralinear guitar amps. The Fender ultralinears are not highly regarded. However some of the Dr. Z amps, like the Route 66, are ultralinear. YMMV.

The good thing is if you buy an ultralinear output TX and you don't like the tone in that configuration, you can simply disconnect the ultralinear TX taps from the output tube screens and run the screens to a normal supply filter configuration. Just because your TX has ultralinear taps does not mean you need to use them.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”