JVM making buzzing sounds with standby off

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

timcrawford
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

JVM making buzzing sounds with standby off

Postby timcrawford » 13 Nov 2013, 07:50

Much different than the sound of a tube going bad I was shocked this morning to here a load buzz when I powered my JVM 205 up. I had just purchased the amp last week. I googled the conditions and got very few results, most posts called for checking tubes. To me the sound was completely different than a tube issue. The sound was coming from the main transformer. When I pressed down on the transformer the buzz got more metallic like. Simple fix tighten the screws around the transformer housing. Buzz went away. Tighten the output power transformer while you have the thing apart.

I added this post so JVM and buzz would be in one post... I did notice in my research that other amps have this issue as well. Might be a good practice to check the transformers like we do the tubes and bias upon purchase.
Judging from the thin metal used in the transformers I think it may be possible to over tighten, not sure. Not sure if Marshall has a torque spec for that...

I only got 5 minutes of practice in instead of an hour before work. Means I will be grumpy at work.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 with 425a/425b
Marshall JVM205h (BrOke) with vertical 2x12 with Texas Heat and Swamp Thing ** 30 pedals ** 8 and 18 ohm THD Hotplate's
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop ** Epiphone 56 Gold Top with RS Guitars Electronics and BG Pups upgrades
Fender Special Run Telecaster ** Samick Lasalle Greg Benette ** Dunlop Jazz III **
Sold: Fender Hotrod and Egnator tweater
Level: Super Beginner
Style: Blues

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: JVM making buzzing sounds with standby off

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Nov 2013, 08:50

You have a ground loop issue sounds like to me.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”