Techs in your area

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole
Has Liked: 2300 times
Been liked: 1571 times

Techs in your area

Postby longfxukxnhair » 20 Jan 2014, 14:26

ClassicRock 88 recently started a thread asking about service/repairs. I got me to thinking. We dont accept advertising at this forum and that is a good thing. But we get many people coming thru here for advice for guitars/amps. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just take it to a tech. But who? I thought that we should have sticky where members can post up techs they recommend. List the state and city then contact info. List their web address if you would like. Make a statement if you want. I know we have some guys here who do some of these things as well. Post up your contact info if you want.

In a week or so I will edit out the above statement and we will just be down to those we recommend.

Phx, AZ
Hunt Amplification
2202 w. Lone Cactus Dr Suite #4
Phx, AZ 85027
623 236 9096

http://www.huntamps.com

Lowell is a solid tech. The only guy I will take my amps to. He has worked on my Marshall 6100LM, Marshall 6100 and my Engl SE670. Not only is he a solid tech but is a great guy as well.
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

Shecter Blck Market Custom
BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

6100 stack (blue) - Bogner Twin Jet - Engl SE 670 - Mesa Road King - Mesa Mark V:25 - 5150 III LBX

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Re: Techs in your area

Postby Cousin Muely » 20 Jan 2014, 15:04

Tom Dodson in Jackson, Georgia. Can't speak highly enough of him. Very nice guy and he does fantastic work. Very good player too. One of those Nashville Country Style Pickers. He's done some touring in his younger days so he can offer some good advice if your not sure what you want.

http://www.dodsonguitars.com/

Blues_N_Cues
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2033 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby Blues_N_Cues » 20 Jan 2014, 16:12

Todd Sharp @ Nashville Amp Repair.
one of the best & most respected in the biz. I'll just link his client comments. you might recognize a couple names.
http://www.amprepair.com/customer_comments.htm
keeping it loud- JMP-1 rack,LPs,strats,& way too much other gear.
my sounds,songs,& snippets-
https://soundcloud.com/rlc-ltd
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Marshall Mann
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 175 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby Marshall Mann » 20 Jan 2014, 18:38

Unfortunately, I have more info on where NOT to go in Portland OR. I have been to every tech in Portland over the past 30 years and learned first hand. It's why I started doing my own work and eventually started my own side business repairing amps. The straw on the camels back was the "Marshall Certified" tech (I got the reference directly from Marshall UK) at Inner Sound. He told me the 6100 was a "self biasing amp" and that he "didn't need to bias the amp after installing new tubes". This was after he had my amp for almost 6 months to replace two caps and re-tube it. He would have had to have tripped over the bias trim pot to miss it, and I knew it. I just didn't have the confidence to do my own work until that point. Fast forward 15 years to my selfish plug, please PM me if I can help you in the greater Portland Metro area, I'm happy to help. I have several references from return customers that I am happy to provide.

If you want to go else where, the ONLY tech in PDX worth talking to is Brain Sours (Sour Sound). The bad news is you seldom get him to work on your amp these days (it's one of his assistants) and his hours are extremely limited. When the PI traces were cooked on my 6100 (due to a faulty repair previous to me purchasing the amp) he did an absolutely surgical repair / solder job. I've never seen work so beautifully done. Pure art at it's best. He has also built amps for Issac Brock (Modest Mouse), Johnny Marr (Modest Mouse and The Smiths) and Brandon Summers (the Helio Sequence). I've spent countless hours talking to Brain and I cant say enough good things about him or his work. He is simply amazing.

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby aristotle » 20 Jan 2014, 18:52

I don't have a line on an amp tech, but if anybody needs a guitar tech in the Baltimore / DC area, PM me. I can't advertise him by name publicly because he has a pretty high profile full time gig with a major guitar manufacturer in the area. But the dude is really great and does side work for "other" brands. I've never been one to let others do setups on my stuff thinking "it isn't rocket science"....and besides, even if it was, that's my main bread and butter. But after having have him do some stuff for me recently, there really is value in having a learned hand for stuff that requires more than a simple truss rod or saddle adjust...

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor
Has Liked: 404 times
Been liked: 599 times

Postby ClassicRock88 » 24 Jan 2014, 12:21

I have THREE!

On the Illinois side:

Darryn at Swing City Music in Collinsville, IL
1811 Vandalia
Collinsville, IL
618-345-6700
www.swingcitymusic.com

On the Missouri side:

Killer Vintage
3201 Ivanhoe Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63139
314-347-7795
www.killervintage.com

If you can get Obeid you are in luck! He doesn't work there full time anymore though.

Gravity Strings
1546 S. Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63104

314-241-0190
www.gravitystrings.com

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”