bias master

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

bias master

Postby ngibson » 23 Sep 2008, 09:32

Any one use this.are they difficult to use.never biased before.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/tube_ampdoctor_biasmaster.htm

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Sep 2008, 15:49

I biased my VM using only the Multimeter shown here. For $10 I don't think you can beat it. There are detailed threads on this site regarding how to do it. I'd never done it before & found it very easy (thanks to SteveD). If you get the meter and need help PM me and I will walk you through it.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.ph ... ory_id=109

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 23 Sep 2008, 16:10

ya ill think ill just buy a multimeter instead cause this thing isn't cheap.thanks alot man ill pm you so when i need to cause i dont have a clue what to do.oh ya do i just by any multimeter.or do i need a specific one.and i think i read on here that you need to buy a different lead for it.

thanks man appreciate it.
Nathan

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Sep 2008, 16:33

Not entirely sure. I bought the Bias Probe as well but only used it for my Twin & not the VM. I didn't need any other lead, just what came with it.

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 23 Sep 2008, 16:37

alright cool man so all i need to get is a digital multimeter that has the red and black cable with it.like the one in the picture.the open the amp and get blown up :D

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Sep 2008, 16:55

It's like that old game "Operation", touch the wrong thing and your nose lights up! :lol:

Seriously, just go slow & be careful. Once you are done you'll be amazed how easy it is. Which VM do you have?

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 23 Sep 2008, 17:00

if its like that game ill definatly in trouble i could never play that. :) .i have the 2466 and yourself only half it a week think there might be problems with it but i dont have any bacround knowledge on tube amps so dont know.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Sep 2008, 17:30

Describe the problems. It's probably not the bias.

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 24 Sep 2008, 07:51

i mentioned on another thread about the glow off the pre-amp tubes that there really isnt any light in them.ya i dont think its the bias but just wanted to get a multi meter for when i do need to change the tubes.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 24 Sep 2008, 15:06

I don't think preamp tubes glow, at least not like power amp tubes. How does the amp sound? If there is something wrong with a preamp tube you can definitely tell (though you may think it's possibly something else). Also, checking the bias will not tell you if there is a problem with the preamp tubes. The bias is only related to the poweramp tubes, if you need to change any or all of the preamp tubes you just pop the old one out and put the new one in - no re-bias necessary.
It is said that poweramp tubes go bad or wear out faster than preamp tubes but
in my experience I think the opposite is true. I've been using tube amps for more than 10 years now and I've replaced many more preamp tubes than poweramp.

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 24 Sep 2008, 15:54

ya i was looking for pictures on the site for peoples pre amp tupes while the amp was switched on couldnt find any though.Don't get me wrong the amp sounds absolutly amazing.but as i said its my first tube amp and dont know if its suppose to sound better.you know the way you just get it into your head that there might be something wrong with something and you cant leave it go.Im just a bit paranoid.Do you play in a band man ya.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 25 Sep 2008, 00:33

There is unlikely to be anything wrong with your preamp valves and I suspect there might be nothing physically wrong with your amp at all. The conclusion I have drawn from reading your other threads too is as follows; -

It is probably the result of not enough time spent with the amp yet, fully exploring the various ways it can be dialled in and compounded by the fact this is your first valve amp. Valve amps tend to be a lot more dynamic than solid state amps and respond more to your physical playing. If you have previously been playing an amp with a lot of compression in the distortion channel then your playing will have 'adapted' to that.

So, as well as dialling in the amp's controls and using your guitar's volume and tone pots, experiment with your playing style and try various techniques - hard picking, soft picking etc.

Your speakers probably need to be broken in more too.

The preamp valves only show a dull glow from their heaters and the valves themselves are recessed into the chassis. If you took the chassis out of the cabinet and got a better look at the preamp valves you would see more of the heater glow.

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 25 Sep 2008, 08:06

ya i think there's nothing wrong with it either all in my head. yesterday was my first day i really got to spend time with it and it just blew me away.and on another thread i mentioned that the speakers sounded horrible and everything was bad.i found out it was my guitar a kirk hammett signature must be something wrong with that.

Nathan

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 25 Sep 2008, 16:25

The Kirk Hammet guitar has EMGs yes? I haven't personally tried them but others have said that this amp does not respond that well to active pickups. It seems to respond best to low output pickups, PAFs and the like.

ngibson
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ngibson » 25 Sep 2008, 17:02

yes two active emg 81's i played it on a randall before and it sounded great.but now im really not into playing metal anymore so if im on stage playing a light rock song i dont really want that guitar hanging off me with big skull inlays. :)

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”