Question for SteveD

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

marshallmellow
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Question for SteveD

Postby marshallmellow » 28 Sep 2008, 20:33

I love my 2266, especially in the low dynamic mode. I would love for the low dynamic to have slightly more gain, without having to switch to the high dynamic mode (slightly different voicing). If a guy wanted his VM to retain the excellent sound of the low dynamic mode, but obtain slightly more gain, and without using an outboard pedal, what would be the best approach (theoretically, of course). 8)

Thanks

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 29 Sep 2008, 00:05

Welcome to the forum marshallmellow. :)

You can't boost the gain on the Low Dynamic Range alone, it would also boost the High DR.

There are many ways to do this but for obvious reasons I can't give advice on this because it would null the warranty.

marshallmellow

Postby marshallmellow » 29 Sep 2008, 09:05

Steve,

Thanks for the welcome, and the response. Didn't mean to put you on the spot, as I understand your position regarding the posting of any modifications. It does make sense that increasing the gain of V1 would also affect the gain of the high dynamic mode, accumulatively. I am currently running a 12AU7 in the V2 spot, which works out perfect for my needs, so increasing the gain of V1 might actually still leave the high dynamic at an overall gain close to the original level. I bet if a new user like "Stealth" showed up, he'd have some cool ideas??

Rodv1967
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

More Gain on the Low Range

Postby Rodv1967 » 22 Feb 2009, 05:42

Marshall Mellow a company called Voodoo Amps does a mod for the VM to increase gain on the Low Dynamic setting, wether you would want to get this done
is another matter, to be honest with you I wouldnt. I have had my 50watt 2266 head now for nearly a month and I just play on the high setting, I use my vol
knob so much more now because I find I can experiment with it to get different tones. I do want to throw a question steves way, I have a 50watt DSL50 head
which I modified with two mercury transformers, and a choke which I have to say did greatly improve the tone of it, before it lacked clarity, definition, headroom
which it now has. Both my heads are 50watts, my DSL50 is noticeably louder than my new 2266 VM head, if I put DSL50 on OD1 on 2, I have to turn VM high upto
3.5 to be as loud as my JCM2000. I run JJ EL34's biased at around 43 in DSL50, I am now thinking about trying the JJ KT66's in VM, with a balanced JJ preamp for
phase inverter.
keep rockin'
rod

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: More Gain on the Low Range

Postby SteveD » 22 Feb 2009, 13:59

Rodv1967 wrote:Marshall Mellow a company called Voodoo Amps does a mod for the VM to increase gain on the Low Dynamic setting, wether you would want to get this done
is another matter, to be honest with you I wouldnt. I have had my 50watt 2266 head now for nearly a month and I just play on the high setting, I use my vol
knob so much more now because I find I can experiment with it to get different tones. I do want to throw a question steves way, I have a 50watt DSL50 head
which I modified with two mercury transformers, and a choke which I have to say did greatly improve the tone of it, before it lacked clarity, definition, headroom
which it now has. Both my heads are 50watts, my DSL50 is noticeably louder than my new 2266 VM head, if I put DSL50 on OD1 on 2, I have to turn VM high upto
3.5 to be as loud as my JCM2000. I run JJ EL34's biased at around 43 in DSL50, I am now thinking about trying the JJ KT66's in VM, with a balanced JJ preamp for
phase inverter.
keep rockin'
rod
It has been explained before that the 50W 2266 is actually about 36W clean and 50W when driven, like the old JTM45s. The DSL, which uses EL34s, puts out 50W clean and then some when driven.

Cr4nK

Postby Cr4nK » 22 Feb 2009, 14:49

Get hotter pickups, or get the JJ/tesla high gain 12ax7 from here http://www.tubedepot.com/jjtesla.html (choose it from the drop down menu) for the v1, and for v2 get a tube that has less gain than the one u curently have. This in theory would do the job.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”