My Amp is screwed up!

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LedZeppelinGuns
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My Amp is screwed up!

Postby LedZeppelinGuns » 28 Dec 2008, 00:42

Today I went to my local Marshall Distributor and bought the Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern Head and took it home right before closing time. I've been saving up for this thing for a year now and as soon as I got home I hooked it up and started playing. I gradually increased the volume until about 1/2 way and then I played the chords from Baba O'Reily and something blew inside! I ran over, looked through the grill and saw the glow in one of the tube fade slowly, but I'm not sure what to do! I have to play a show tomorrow and the store is closed on Sundays!

:shock: :? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :? :shock:

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 28 Dec 2008, 03:36

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like you are the unfortunate victim of a dodgy output valve which happens. The valves are under warranty for 90 days from purchase so there is no problem with that. However that's not much help with your gig tonight. :(

Where are you based? Maybe someone here can help you if they're not too far away from you. :)

LedZeppelinGuns
<25
<25

My amp

Postby LedZeppelinGuns » 03 Jan 2009, 00:04

Hey, luckily there was someone in the store when I brought it back and you were right, it was a blown output valve. :( The guy at the store lent me a TSL 100 watt until my new Vintage Modern ships in from Marshall. I told him I just wanted a new amp because I didn't want to have to deal with this again. An amp like this shouldn't start braking after like 5 minutes. :wink:

Thanks for the offer for the help, but I live in Canada... ey :D

Again though, thanks for the offer!
More guitars, amps, pedals, tuners, strings, picks, cables than any sane person needs...

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 03 Jan 2009, 03:05

Glad to hear you got sorted with an amp, however, I must emphasise that an output valve blowing is not the amp itself breaking just like a tyre blowing on a brand new car is not the car breaking. :wink: :)

LedZeppelinGuns
<25
<25

Postby LedZeppelinGuns » 03 Jan 2009, 20:57

Ya I know, it's just that I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of buying the floor model anyways (it's been there for like a year being abused). Plus the store I bought it from isn't really known for treating their equipment with care :wink: . *My cousin once brought his Les Paul in for a setup and didn't get it back for 3 months because someone decided to "re-wire" everything. :wink: So when the thing blew I just wanted a new amp all together to be safe.
More guitars, amps, pedals, tuners, strings, picks, cables than any sane person needs...

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 04 Jan 2009, 00:25

If you are gigging and do not have a backup amp keep some extra preamp and power tubes and fuses in your tool box along with your extra strings and such.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”