Competent Techs...

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

basshole
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby basshole » 29 Dec 2008, 16:04

Heh! My amp tech is an industrial electrical engineer with a passion for amps.
He recently grounded(word?) my whole basement floor which includes my studio, and re-routed my whole house's electrical distibution from the main fusebox. This was done in an hour as he delivered a dummy load for an old cinema tube amp as well as my tuned up tape echo. Flawless i tell you!
I guess i'm lucky since he could as well be an idiot with a mullet and a soldering iron and given my own electrical retardness i still would have to trust him..
Steve Miller | Phil Lynott | Sting | Paul McCartney | Royston Langdon | Jimi | Brian Setzer

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 29 Dec 2008, 18:59

A good tech better have both chopsticks and a multimeter; in fact he'd better have a scope and signal generator on top of that. Make sure to watch to see if he puts a soldering iron in the chassis with the amp plugged in, if so beware. He should be able to explain load lines with a ruler, calculator and tube manual. Finally, ask him to describe the three different power tube biasing techniques and the benefits of each. Like in lutherie, there are tons of "techs" out there that don't have a clue.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 30 Dec 2008, 02:48

Nothing like a chopstick or similar insulated prodding device for finding a dry joint in an amp that is turned up and plugged in to a cab. When you find the offending joint it will certainly let you know., think dentist and cavity :)

Methinks this was not the only tool in the original tech's arsenal though, or at least I hope not! :lol:

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”