Well it worked last night....no sound

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

DavidC
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Well it worked last night....no sound

Postby DavidC » 09 Jan 2009, 19:45

Hi guys...new to the forum as this is my first Marshall.

Recently bought 2266 off ebay. Seller claimed to have installed KT88's. When I received the amp, it had EL34G's. (didn't know this until I opened up to replace tubes) It powered up and played fine right out of the box. I ordered a complete retube from Eurotubes going back to the recommended KT66's. Installed the tubes (removed the tube holders as suggested) taking time to clean the sockets as explained and carefully replaced each tube without any issues. Turned the amp on, waited 15 minutes, then turned on standby switch. Checked bias with final adjustment being 45.1 / 48.0
Plugged up guitar and immediately noticed a much cleaner tone with slightly less volume than with the EL34's in LD mode. HD mode had plenty of gain and sounded fine. Played a bit at very low volume as it was late in the evening in my home. Checked the bias again...still 45/48. Happily looking forward to cranking it up the next day to see how it REALLY sounded. Got home, turned the amp on, and .......nothing. I mean no sound. Put the meter back on to check bias and got 00.0/00.0. Tubes warm up and glow nicely. You can hear transformer kick in (I think that's what it is) on the end near the power switch.
I did notice that the smaller transformer gets warm after a few minutes but the larger transformer on the opposite end of the amp is cold to the touch.
Not a tech....no idea if that means anything.

:idea: Just checked HT fuse. It's blown. :shock:

Drawing a blank.....suggestions welcomed.
Thanks guys,
David C :?

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 09 Jan 2009, 20:39

Not sure if it's the HT Fuse or another one, check and see if there is a spare. I now one of the fuses has a spare in the compartment.

Good luck.

DavidC
<25
<25

Postby DavidC » 09 Jan 2009, 21:05

slowpokerhino wrote:Not sure if it's the HT Fuse or another one, check and see if there is a spare. I now one of the fuses has a spare in the compartment.

Good luck.
You are correct, sir. My 2266 has 2 spare fuses in a tiny, little drawer underneath the power cord.
Put a new HT fuse in and I'm back in business. Although I will continue to wonder what caused the fuse to blow in the first place.

Thanks for your input !!
David C

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 10 Jan 2009, 05:11

Welcome to the forum DavidC. :)

Glad you got sorted. :) but....

Just to clarify, the spare fuse in the mains socket drawer is a mains fuse, not for use with the HT. The value written on the end cap of the HT fuse of the 2266 should be 'T500mA'.

It concerns me that if the previous owner installed EL34s, did he modify anything else?

My advice is to make sure the HT fuse is as recommended above, and if it is, monitor the amp for a while to see if you get any undue smells or loud and persistent crackles and/or hums. Hopefully all is ok but there is nothing wrong with being vigilant. :wink:

NOTE: If you have put the mains fuse in thge HT fuse holder then consider the HT circuit not as well protected as it should be which could result in more expensive components getting damaged, worst case = transformers. :shock:

DavidC
<25
<25

Postby DavidC » 10 Jan 2009, 21:30

SteveD wrote:Welcome to the forum DavidC. :)

Glad you got sorted. :) but....

Just to clarify, the spare fuse in the mains socket drawer is a mains fuse, not for use with the HT. The value written on the end cap of the HT fuse of the 2266 should be 'T500mA'.

It concerns me that if the previous owner installed EL34s, did he modify anything else?

My advice is to make sure the HT fuse is as recommended above, and if it is, monitor the amp for a while to see if you get any undue smells or loud and persistent crackles and/or hums. Hopefully all is ok but there is nothing wrong with being vigilant. :wink:

NOTE: If you have put the mains fuse in thge HT fuse holder then consider the HT circuit not as well protected as it should be which could result in more expensive components getting damaged, worst case = transformers. :shock:
The previous owner 'claimed' to have put KT88's and I inquired if he still had the original tubes. He said he would swap them back out. I've looked very carefully and see no sign at all of modifications. There is no smell or noise thus far. I got the amp at a great price but seller sounds (email correspondence) more like a kid than an adult. Slow to ship, packing was less than needed. Shipped the amp with the footswitch....left out the power cord. Said he's ship it and never did. Taking your advice and checking all the fuses, I think he put whatever he had or could find as only the mains had the correct fuse. The spare nor the HT blown fuse were of the correct model based on the markings on the back of the amp. Which makes me ask the question.....you indicated the HT500mA. The amp markings on the rear refer to T500mAE. Is there a difference or were you just abbreviating? There is also an E at the end of the mains model also....i.e. T2AE 250V. Is this "E" of some importance???

I have not noticed anything not working as expected. A couple of the mounting screws on the large transformer were loose....I snugged them up enough to keep the top from being loose.

Thank you for taking the time to offer helpful and preventive advice.
Much appreciated, sir.
DavidC

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 11 Jan 2009, 04:45

The 'E' stands for 'enhanced breaking capacity' and I'm not sure if the local dealers in your locality will go to the lengths of being that picky. The most important thing is that the current rating of the HT fuse is T500mA (the 'T' stands for time delay otherwise known as 'slow blow'). If you can get hold of T500mAE then all the better.

Sounds like it's looking good up to now though. :)

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”