My amp's broken and it makes me sad.

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Matt
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My amp's broken and it makes me sad.

Postby Matt » 20 Feb 2009, 05:26

Help!!

I got this 2466 second hand off e-bay and played it non stop for like 5 hours and they were the 5 of the happiest hours of my life. I get up next morning and start playing again only this time about 10 minutes in the sounds goes really quiet and fuzzy. I’m sure it’s something to do with the preamp ‘cause it sounds the same from the line out. I’ve checked all the leads involved and the valves are all still lit up (I even changed one preamp valve that wasn't quiet as lit up as the others).

Any ideas?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 21 Feb 2009, 05:15

Welcome to the forum Matt. :)

Is it the same on both Dynamic Ranges?

Is it still switching ranges?

If you plug your guitar directly into the FX return on -10dB setting (with the loop enabled of course) is the sound more 'normal'?

Are your instrument and speaker cables OK?

Matt
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Matt » 21 Feb 2009, 06:22

Thanks for the welcome and the help SteveD, you led me straight to the problem - my FX loop.

Turns out that I have the same problem as jimmyshakes in "FX Loop not working - part required?" thread. I’ve never known FX loops just break whilst playing though especially as I was nowhere near the one pedal plugged in when it went. So yeah, when ever the loop is engaged I lose the sound. I assume this is the sort of thing best repaired by a professional…

I’m really glad it is a least in some part fixed as I have a gig tonight and I was afraid I was going to have to use my old AVT. Don’t get me wrong it’s a fine amp and it’s been with me forever (well, five years – all my gigging life) but it’s got nothing on a VM.

Anyway, thanks again it's much appreciated.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”