FX loop and reverb issues

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

chance0
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

FX loop and reverb issues

Postby chance0 » 06 Apr 2009, 10:00

Hi, Vintage Modern forum,

First post here... with some perplexing questions:

Is anyone else on this board experiencing volume dropout when engaging their FX loop (cable plugged in or not)? The volume loss is more apparent for me on the low dynamic range mode and the loss of gain is more apparent in the high-dynamic range mode (possibly due to less power hitting the PI stage). It's a few dB drop.

I had the transistors swapped out at an authorized repair shop and that didn't fix the problem.

Additionally, the onboard reverb has been having issues. Sometimes I like to use the VM with SteveD's 'JTM settings' of master on 10, detail on 3, body on 2, low DR. When I turn up the reverb, I get very audible noise and strange digital-sounding artifacts (the artifacts occur during the reverb decay). At lower Master levels and high DR, I can still hear it after I make a percussive attack, but it's less present. Can anyone else try this to see if it's just me?

I was trying to get the effects module swapped out (0710 DFXCARD market 4L Ver 1.4), but Marshall told the repair guys that they don't have any in stock. That seems really odd to me.

Thanks, all.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: FX loop and reverb issues

Postby SteveD » 07 Apr 2009, 11:19

Welcome to the forum chanceO. :Thumbs

Maybe one of the other components in the FX section has gone faulty, a resistor perhaps. It should be easy for a tech to trace the signal path through and see where the level goes awol.
Still my guitar gently weeps

chance0
<25
<25

Postby chance0 » 11 Apr 2009, 17:36

Thanks, Steve.

What do you think about the reverb problem?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 12 Apr 2009, 03:52

It could be a programming anomaly on the reverb card, it has been known to happen. I would say the only way to tell would be trying a new card when they get some.

steep
<25
<25

Postby steep » 29 Jul 2009, 12:09

I have experienced the same issue. A low digital-hiss during the decay of the reverb. Doesn't sound nice at all even though its very low.
I use only the low range on the VM with Master at 10 (or is it ellevven???) and preamp gains at 2,5 each. Sounds really warm and nice without the reverb.

A more annoying thing is that the reverb works about 50% of the time I play.
It's like lottery each time I turn on the amp if it works or not, and I don't use the footswitch.
Just guitar in and speaker out, no loop.... and of course a bad-ass pedalboard in front of it... :-)

But would be nice with the reverb sometimes thou...

Any suggestions????
Vintage Modern 2466
2x12 Celestion G12H-100 (8ohm)
Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop
Gibson Les Paul Gothic
G&L Legacy Special Strat
Fender Telecaster Custom

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 31 Jul 2009, 11:13

steep wrote:I have experienced the same issue. A low digital-hiss during the decay of the reverb. Doesn't sound nice at all even though its very low.
I use only the low range on the VM with Master at 10 (or is it ellevven???) and preamp gains at 2,5 each. Sounds really warm and nice without the reverb.

A more annoying thing is that the reverb works about 50% of the time I play.
It's like lottery each time I turn on the amp if it works or not, and I don't use the footswitch.
Just guitar in and speaker out, no loop.... and of course a bad-ass pedalboard in front of it... :-)

But would be nice with the reverb sometimes thou...

Any suggestions????
Again I would suspect the reverb card. Take it to your dealer and ask him if he can try another card.

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”