Swapping out preamp valves?

Solutions, Advice, Mods, and Troubleshooting.

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

antosimoni
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby antosimoni » 11 Jul 2007, 05:08

I've putted the new Tungsols 12AX7 on V1 & V4 and I can say that the sound gets "fuller" and warmer, great tubes (although stock ones are good no probs with 'em)

aeiouy
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Phase inverter tube ?

Postby aeiouy » 04 Oct 2007, 01:54

SteveD wrote:OK guys here is the lowdown; -

V1 is the first gain stage included in the signal path on both dynamic ranges.

V2 is an extra gain stage which is included only on the high dynamic range.

V3 is the tone stack

V4 is the phase inverter.

If anybody requires any clarification of what the various pots and switches do on the Vintage Modern I would be happy to explain in detail; just give me a shout.

Steve
Hello Steve,

Let me ask you some explanation about the preamp tubes layout :
Looking at the back of the VM head, I can see from left to right V1 to V4 : Is that right ?
(V1 and V2 have metal covers)
So the phase inverter tube is close to the power switch.

Do you recommend a specific balanced tube for V4 (ECC83S high grade for instance)?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards.
LES PAUL 59 95
LES PAUL 59 MURPHY 07 with PAF 61
LES PAUL SG 62
STRAT Capton
MESA Dual Rectifier
2466H with 2x12 cabinet (Celestion Gold alnico bulldog)
DUNLOP CRYBABY, Sole-mate reverb, demeter fat overdrive

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 04 Oct 2007, 04:43

Hello Steve,

Let me ask you some explanation about the preamp tubes layout :
Looking at the back of the VM head, I can see from left to right V1 to V4 : Is that right ?
(V1 and V2 have metal covers)
So the phase inverter tube is close to the power switch.

Do you recommend a specific balanced tube for V4 (ECC83S high grade for instance)?
Yes that is the correct layout.

With regard to the phase invertor (V4), the valve that is in there should be fine but if you want to experiment then a good balanced ECC83 is what you are looking for.

thunderkyss
Been liked: 9 times

Postby thunderkyss » 27 Aug 2008, 12:15

SteveD wrote:
antosimoni wrote:
SteveD wrote:OK guys here is the lowdown; -

V1 is the first gain stage included in the signal path on both dynamic ranges.

V2 is an extra gain stage which is included only on the high dynamic range.

V3 is the tone stack

V4 is the phase inverter.

If anybody requires any clarification of what the various pots and switches do on the Vintage Modern I would be happy to explain in detail; just give me a shout.

Steve

hi Steve,
thanks for your attention, please take a time to answer these simple questions :

so the Fx Loop and the Reverb are not tube-driven ?

why the Detail control is much more gainier than the Body one?

the mid-boost is not tube-driven, right?

and.... could you please suggest me the best settings to nail JTM (or Plexi) tones? I'm having a hard time with that...

The FX loop utilises high voltage mosfets which behave in a similar way to valves. The FX loop stages are only conditioning buffers and I wasn't after any distortion from these stages so it works very well IMO. What do you think?

I didn't see the point in driving a digital reverb with a valve.

The Detail and Body controls both have the same gain. The 'Detail' controls gain from 400Hz upward and the Body controls gain from 400Hz downward. Virtually all of a guitar's harmonic distortion can be found in the Detail control's area so it is this control which has the most dramatic affect. The Body control affects the fundamental frequencies. There is a natural classic Marshall mid dip at 400Hz (the crossover frequency) which can be boosted and flattened out with the mid boost button if you like. The mid boost is a passive circuit in the signal path, not an extra stage.

The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close.

The vintage Modern is essentially a Plexi with some bells and whistles. Its foundation is the 'JTM 45 Super 100's' as championed by Hendrix, Clapton in Cream and several others.
Steve, Just a question. What is the basis for using a digital reverb.

I have no preference, as I really don't use reverb on the amp anyway, but I was just wondering.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 28 Aug 2008, 12:40

Reliability, Marshall were having too many issues with spring tanks at the manufacturing stage of other models and expressed a preference for the digital reverbs already used in production.

I actually voted against having a reverb in the Vintage Modern; I think it has the kind of tone that doesn't need it.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 28 Aug 2008, 15:32

SteveD wrote:Reliability, Marshall were having too many issues with spring tanks at the manufacturing stage of other models and expressed a preference for the digital reverbs already used in production.

I actually voted against having a reverb in the Vintage Modern; I think it has the kind of tone that doesn't need it.
fwiw Steve, I like the reverb the VM has alot. I only use a touch to begin with and think it is ideal the way it is. I wouldn't shed a tear if it never had on at all though. But I am glad it is there.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

steelhorse
<25
<25

Postby steelhorse » 15 Nov 2008, 20:52

SteveD wrote:Reliability, Marshall were having too many issues with spring tanks at the manufacturing stage of other models and expressed a preference for the digital reverbs already used in production.

Me too, so I'm glad they won out and installed a reverb because I don't even use my reverb outboard or pedals because the built in just sounds right for the VM :D

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 16 Nov 2008, 16:14

I find the reverb to be subtle... for a digital circuit it's nice and warm sounding. What's next - a tremolo with variable speed expression pedal? 8)

chmizell
<25
<25

Postby chmizell » 18 Feb 2009, 11:12

Probably covered already, but I saw that Doug Aldrich used a setting of "1" on the reverb and found that interesting. I tried that setting and thought the effect was remarkable. I am not reverb guy, never really liked that effect on an amp, but also never thought to try a miniscule setting. Now I love it! For those who thought the reverb was bad....might want to try that very low setting, it really has a quite nice effect on the tone!

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 21 Feb 2009, 21:57

yep, very little, just enough to "undry" the tone a bit.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Return to “Roadhouse Repair Shop”