zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 19 times
Been liked: 38 times

Converting 2x12 from 16 ohm to 8 ohm total

Postby zimlen » 14 May 2015, 21:45

Hey guys, a little help needed.

I've got a 2x12 with two 8 ohm speakers. They are connected to a "Plug and Play" jack that allows a 16 ohm load (both speakers in series), each speaker seperately (8 ohm stereo), or both together parallel (4 ohm load total).

I've recently got a new amp (Fender Deluxe Reverb head) that prefers a 8 ohm load, and I'd like to use both speakers at once. My JTM145 accepts a 8 or 16 load total. So I thought getting 2 x 16 ohm speakers and running them in parallel would be my best bet.

The most obvious option is to get a plate dish that fits the existing cutout, and install a jack with the 2 x 16 ohm speakers connected in parallel for an 8 ohm total load. But I won't have the option of using the speakers seperately at 16 ohms. What it take much to make this happen? I can't see any products on the market that would be a direct replacement for what I've got already. Obviously the option of running both speakers in series wouldn't be needed (as I've got on the Plug and Play plate), but having the option of running the speakers stereo could be handy down the track.

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Re: Converting 2x12 from 16 ohm to 8 ohm total

Postby P A U L » 14 May 2015, 21:58

Just use the existing plate but use the 4 ohm setting & never use the 16. You might put a label on the back saying:

8/32ohm mono - 16ohm stereo

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 19 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Converting 2x12 from 16 ohm to 8 ohm total

Postby zimlen » 23 May 2015, 19:40

Hey Paul

Thanks for the advice. That's what I've done. Just got to re-label the inputs now.

The 2x12 Creanback cab sounds great with the Deluxe Reverb head. Tames the highs and fills out the mids. Sounds great with my JTM145 too (though I already knew that).

Funny thing is I think prefer the sounds of these speakers before they are broken in. There is a crispness in the top end that seems to get rounded off after 10 hrs of playing. Surely the difference isn't due to the different impedence of the speakers (the speakers that I replaced were 8 ohm Creambacks), or the change to parallel wiring.

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”