Upgraded speakers in modeling combos (etc)?

Discussion of Speakers and Cabinets

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Upgraded speakers in modeling combos (etc)?

Postby noise5150 » 29 Sep 2017, 10:49

Hi everyone haven't posted in a while. I brought this up in another post but I wanted to give it its own thread. It seems to me that one of the major weak points of modeling or lower cost amps are the stock speakers. I upgraded the speakers in several amps in the past including my DSL40, MGs, and Line6. I have mainly used Veteran 30s because I think they are a great upgrade for most of the stock speakers that come in these amps while still being budget friendly. What do you think?

Roger
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2485 times
Been liked: 860 times

Re: Upgraded speakers in modeling combos (etc)?

Postby Roger » 29 Sep 2017, 11:23

Totally agree. I replaced the original speaker of my Lead 12 for a vintage celestion 10". Great improvement in sound. I recommend replace the speaker in low cost combos.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2017, 12:31

With pure modeling amps you will find speakers that have a flat response. Any voice change you would get from changing the speaker could have been achieved by tweaking the modeling pre amp.

In all tube amps you dont have all the preamp tweaking a modeler does so it makes more difference

I wouldn't do it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 07 Oct 2017, 15:06

I think it depends on what is in the modeling amp.
I have a flextone that came with a Celestion 70/80 and that is a terrible speaker in every application I've ever heard it.
I put in an eminence red white and blues and it was a huge improvement in every way without changes any settings.
Usually however cheap speakers (like that shitty 70/80) are used which don't sound good, so putting in a quality speaker will help, but as surf says a flatter response speaker is usually desirable in a modeling amp.
If the vet 30 is your tone then I think it will help your modeling amp get the tones you like
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”