Moderator: longfxukxnhair

TM1
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 126 times
Been liked: 277 times

Alnico Celestion Q

Postby TM1 » 07 Jan 2018, 13:00

Almost all my Celestion's are from 1960 to 1995 except for 3. I have a 10" & a12" Gold. Last week I bought cream Alnico and put into an old JMI "Domino Bass" cab from 1965.
What I'm wondering is will it get more clarity and sparkle after it breaks in? I'm so use to the way all my other ones sound (except the gold's...) that I'm not thrilled with it right off. I played it a couple of hours at a moderate volume before taking it out to a gig last night. It sounded o.k. But not like I'd hope it would sound with my Astoria Custom. Is this going to sound like my old Blues and Poly Grey's after some use or is this what I should expect as a trade off for the higher wattage?
Cheers!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Alnico Celestion Q

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jan 2018, 18:53

In my experience the Alnicos are not money well spent. I still hold the best sounding speakers are the Heritage line Celestion has.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TM1
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 126 times
Been liked: 277 times

Postby TM1 » 08 Jan 2018, 10:08

My old ones sound great! The newest pair(alnico Blue's) I have are from 1995 and those sound great. NAMM's coming in a few weeks I'll rattle Celestion's chain.
Thanks Surf!

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 10 Jan 2018, 14:11

I was underwhelmed with the Alnico cream. It was flat and dull compared to the Alnico golds I normally use.
I ran it with my Marshall and my deluxe reverb and also vox ac30. The gold was just better in all applications than the cream alnico. I got rid of the cream.
And it doesn't get better with more break in, it remains dull. I don't understand how some like the cream better, they must like the blanket over the amp sound, because that is what it is like compared to the blue/gold.
Another great speaker is the Creamback H. That speaker blew away the Alnico cream.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”