Moderator: longfxukxnhair

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Yet another head(s) and cab question.

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Feb 2009, 15:59

Okay, so I'm trying really hard not to go pick up the 2266 head I saw on clearance at GC. My question is this:

As you probably know, I'm running my 2466 head through a customized 1936 cab. I have it loaded with two 8 ohm Jensen 100 watt C12Ks. I plug into the mono and have the head's 8 ohm plug moved over to the 4 ohm tab. So now my head and cab are both at 4 ohm even though they say 8 ohm.
The cab says stereo but there is no switch. Does it automatically see stereo when both inputs are used?
If I get the 2266 and plug it into the other input of the cab do I then set both heads to 8 ohm since each speaker is 8 ohm?

Would it be okay to switch out the speaker the 2266 will be using for an 8 ohm Celestion Classic Lead 80 since that amp will be set dirtier as opposed to the 2466 which will be set for a cleaner tone? Basically, will having the different speakers (same ohms) hurt anything? I wouldn't think so but...

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 23 Feb 2009, 16:12

Don't know about the stereo question, but you can definitely mix and match speakers of the same Ohms. A lot of people like to mix V30s with G12h30s in a 4x12.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Dave W » 23 Feb 2009, 19:15

To really know for sure what ohms a jack is connected to use a multimeter and set it to the ohms symbol say somewhere above 20 ohms(I use the 200 ohms setting on my cheap meter)and touch the red and black leads to the tip and middle of the cable plug that would go into your amp head. Thus, the cable plugged into your cab jack and the unplugged end which will go into your amp do not plug in and put the red and black to the plug and you will see what your ohms to that jack are coming in at. If its stereo then you should get somewhere a little under 8 ohms each jack. I trust the meter more than my wiring knowledge and my eyes.

If you do not have a multimeter maybe you can borrow one or if you have a Harbour Freight Tools store near you I picked up one there for $4.

You can mix and match any speaker you want as long as your ohms are set right and you are aware of the watt limits.

I like to mix and match speakers in cabs and have ordered several from Avatar mixed in the past and mix and match after market too.

I am not clear about the stereo setting on your cab. I am guessing is not the stock Marshall switcher thing. If you can see how its wired and where the wires leave the jack and go to the speakers it will give a good idea. If its some sort of pcb board switcher thing that is not the Marshall one then I am not sure. Either way though a multimeter will tell the ohms etc.

If you have two jacks on the cab you can just rewire each one to each speaker to one jack(maybe your switcher does that) and run one amp to each speaker.

If you decide you want to run both speakers to one amp then just use 2 speaker cables off one amp head and drop the amp to 4 ohms.

I have starred at it and the visual below makes sense to me but please, if it not someone please post a correction. Thanks!

2 Vm's one stereo cab each amp going to 1 speaker.........

cable #1
VM #1 (8 ohms)--------------(cab jack #1 8 ohms)
VM #2 (8 ohms)--------------(cab jack #2 8 ohms)
cable #2

1 VM one stereo cab going to both speakers (ohms on the VM has to go down to 4 because you are running 2- 8 ohm speakers in parallel)

cable #1
VM #1 ------------------------(cab jack #1 8 ohms)
(4 ohms)------------------------(cab jack #2 8 ohms)
cable #2

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Yet another head(s) and cab question.

Postby SteveD » 24 Feb 2009, 01:17

slowpokerhino wrote:Okay, so I'm trying really hard not to go pick up the 2266 head I saw on clearance at GC. My question is this:

As you probably know, I'm running my 2466 head through a customized 1936 cab. I have it loaded with two 8 ohm Jensen 100 watt C12Ks. I plug into the mono and have the head's 8 ohm plug moved over to the 4 ohm tab. So now my head and cab are both at 4 ohm even though they say 8 ohm.
The cab says stereo but there is no switch. Does it automatically see stereo when both inputs are used?
If I get the 2266 and plug it into the other input of the cab do I then set both heads to 8 ohm since each speaker is 8 ohm?

Would it be okay to switch out the speaker the 2266 will be using for an 8 ohm Celestion Classic Lead 80 since that amp will be set dirtier as opposed to the 2466 which will be set for a cleaner tone? Basically, will having the different speakers (same ohms) hurt anything? I wouldn't think so but...
The 1936 automatically configures itself to stereo when both inputs are used, in your case each amp would be driving one 8 ohm speaker so yes , each amp should be set to 8 ohms.

No problem with having the Celestion either.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 24 Feb 2009, 05:21

Dave W wrote:1 VM one stereo cab going to both speakers (ohms on the VM has to go down to 4 because you are running 2- 8 ohm speakers in parallel)

cable #1
VM #1 ------------------------(cab jack #1 8 ohms)
(4 ohms)------------------------(cab jack #2 8 ohms)
cable #2

Or you could wire the 2x8ohms in series for a 16ohm mono cab. That is how I currently have my avatar at the moment.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 24 Feb 2009, 13:48

Thanks for the help guys. Still unsure if I'm going to get the head or not. Shouldn't really be making any big purchases right now but at that price it's very tempting.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 04 Mar 2009, 15:29

Okay, another scenerio:

Let's say I'm running 2 heads to a 2x12 cab. Each speaker within that cab is for each head. Would both heads and speakers have to be the same ohms? i.e. would running my guitar to a Fender & Jensen 4 ohm combo and at the same time a Marshall & Celestion 16 ohm combo result in noise or other issues?

First post on the new board!!! WOOOHOOO!!! :ball kick

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lowenzz » 04 Mar 2009, 23:30

slowpokerhino wrote:Okay, another scenerio:

Let's say I'm running 2 heads to a 2x12 cab. Each speaker within that cab is for each head. Would both heads and speakers have to be the same ohms?
Ok if I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you would have the equivalent of 2 single speaker cabs with a head for each. In that case, run whatever ohm the speaker rated for and the head to match. :Confused

This is basically NO stereo function in the cab, just Two completely separate circuits and jacks in the cab.

FWIW, there is a 425A cab new floor model on clearance, for less than $400 that I am having a dard time staying away from. But I only have one 2266 head atm and 2 cabs, really don't need a 3rd. :high But damn, that is a great deal, (my new favorite smilie) :ball kick

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Ex-Mesa » 14 Mar 2009, 22:03

One more scenario if you please. Is it possible to connect two 8ohm and two 16ohm speakers to a 2466? They don't easily add up to a round number. I don't mind combining an 8 and a 16 in parallel. I've tried it momentarilly, and it sounded fine. I never dime the master. As a rule of thumb, mustn't the numerical value of the combined speakers simply always be greater than the numerical value set on the amp? (fyi, my 8's are V30's, and my 16's are T75's)
8 + 8 = 4
16 + 16 = 8
4 + 8 = 2.67
8 + 16 = 5.33
8 + 16 = 5.33
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

RoBahs
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby RoBahs » 14 Mar 2009, 22:28

...this I have red on Celestion web page...-

It isn't advisable to mix speakers of different impedances in one cabinet. This is because power will not be shared evenly between the speakers and it can cause frequency dependent shifts in the power balance. This will sound terrible, can affect the amplifier and may damage the speakers. It is always best to use speakers of the same nominal impedance in one cabinet. (Similarly, it is also advisable to have extension cabs with speakers that have matching impedances).

...some other useful topics on http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... /index.asp
Marshall Head Vinatge Modern 2466
Marshall Extension Cabinet 425a
Fender American Standard Stratocaster/w BKP - Mothers Milk
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lowenzz » 14 Mar 2009, 22:32

RoBahs wrote:...this I have red on Celestion web page...-

It isn't advisable to mix speakers of different impedances in one cabinet. This is because power will not be shared evenly between the speakers and it can cause frequency dependent shifts in the power balance. This will sound terrible, can affect the amplifier and may damage the speakers. It is always best to use speakers of the same nominal impedance in one cabinet. (Similarly, it is also advisable to have extension cabs with speakers that have matching impedances).

...some other useful topics on http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... /index.asp
+1 agreed :Thumbs

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Ex-Mesa » 15 Mar 2009, 07:31

Thanks guys, but, respectfully, having tried mixing an 8 and a 16 recently with my VM, and also years ago in a Jubilee Combo, I can't hear the difference. Far from sounding terrible as Celestion suggests. I could not even tell which was louder than the other. No phase emphasis. And my monitor wedges have drivers with different ohm values in them. I've plugged my VM into them once. Any experience on how the VM feels with mixed ohm cabs?

There's no replacement for displacement!
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”