Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

FYI on adding speaker wattage

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Jul 2009, 18:46

I am sure most of you guys know this already but thought I would add it.

When you use a 30 watt speaker with a 60 watt speaker of same ohm and SPL sensitivity, the power rating does not add up to 90 watts. This is because half of the signal is going to be evenly distributed amoung the two speakers, you don't want to put any more power than twice the lowest capacity wattage into the pair....otherwise you could damage the 30 watt speaker. The two wattages..30 and 60 don't sum to 90. A 30 watt speaker mixed with a 60 watt speaker makes a 60 watt capacity cab (twice the lowest one).
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: FYI on adding speaker wattage

Postby DeanM » 14 Jul 2009, 04:40

in theory it adds up to 90watts. but as surf points out its only usable up to what the lower power speaker can handle. in this case 30watts. and because what one speaker gets the other one gets also.....total USABLE power handling is 60watt.

Good idea surf. and also if someone can add various speaker wiring diagrams it might be a good idea to sticky this! then im sure it would be a useful thread to some. maybe 'borrow' them from celestion or something!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: FYI on adding speaker wattage

Postby lowenzz » 08 Aug 2009, 20:16

What little I know of this stuff is this "powere will take the path of least resistance " So will equal resistance ratings, the power will be divided evenly.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”