Favorite Celestion Speaker?

Discussion of Speakers and Cabinets

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

What's your favorite Celestion speaker you've played through?

Greenback (C or M)
50%
G12H30
4%
G12-65
8%
Vintage 30
19%
Lead 80
12%
G12T-75
4%
Alnico Blue
No votes
Alnico Gold
4%

Total votes: 26

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Favorite Celestion Speaker?

Postby LivewireBlanco » 19 Jul 2009, 19:26

Gotta say the Greenbacks for me because they are not too loud and sound great when they are pushed hard! :yea
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Favorite Celestion Speaker?

Postby lowenzz » 19 Jul 2009, 19:32

I gotta agree with ya there. I love my 425B cab and the G12C's.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Jul 2009, 19:43

Lead 80s, 'cause I can have a 2x12 cab with my 100 watt head and still retain a good vintage tone.
Solid bass, nice mids and bright highs that aren't ice picky. Who could ask for more?

If I could afford a pair of Golds that might change my vote.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Jul 2009, 20:52

All those speakers are pretty good but it really depends on the type of amp you are using and the sound you are going for. The Lead 80s are really the most neutral of the bunch where I find the Vintage 30s about the most flexible with any amp. The G12T-75 are crap to my ears.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor

Postby LivewireBlanco » 19 Jul 2009, 21:11

surfnorthwest wrote:All those speakers are pretty good but it really depends on the type of amp you are using and the sound you are going for. The Lead 80s are really the most neutral of the bunch where I find the Vintage 30s about the most flexible with any amp. The G12T-75 are crap to my ears.
I almost didn't put the T-75s on the list! True about the amp, but I just wanted to see what people had tried and what they liked. I could have specified with the VM.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jul 2009, 09:24

I love the lead 80s with the VM.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 20 Jul 2009, 17:14

I don't think the Lead 80s would be a good choice for the "Slash" guys. Probably better off with the V30s.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jul 2009, 20:49

"Slash" guys
:wanker :sorry
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor

Postby LivewireBlanco » 20 Jul 2009, 22:58

surfnorthwest wrote:
"Slash" guys
:wanker :sorry
Aww shit, here it comes... :ball kick

Fuggle
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Fuggle » 29 Jul 2009, 09:05

I love my G12C's but I have never tried Blues or Golds. I would love to replace all the speakers in my other cab (G12-75's) with Blues but it would cost a fortune.
Les Paul Standard with Lollar Imperials
78 Strat with Fralin Pickups
2006 Strat with Fralin Pickups
Mesa Boogie F-50
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960aCab (JCM800)
Marshall 425a Cab

farinaex
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby farinaex » 28 Aug 2009, 13:57

I have played alot of speakers over the years . Amps Plexis, MkII's, High Watt, Mesa / Speakers / greenbacks, 12H's, V30, Weber Silver bell, Sidewinder.....

Wait till you guy's try the Celestion Gold with a VM...........

Knocked me the ____ ** :Thumbs OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSL 100, VM 2266, Boogie 50 watt single rectifier. Cream 4x12 Greenback 100 watt cab, Avatar 2x12 openback Hellatone Vintage 30's, Celestion Gold and 12H speaker combo
Guitars: Gary Moore Lespaul, Clapton Strat, other assorted Fenders,Epiphones and Dillions.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Aug 2009, 19:53

Wait till you guy's try the Celestion Gold with a VM...........

Knocked me the ____ ** OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recently loaded one of my cabinets with four of them, the way I would describe them is very honky with unreal defenition. I am going to try to get a clip made this weekend with the VM and the following three cabs

Alnico Gold
Vintage 30
Hellatone G12H and Vin30
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 28 Aug 2009, 20:05

Well Surf, ya stepped up for some Golds eh ?

Tell us sir, what would you consider to be the dollar for % of tone improvement if any ? Or are they just a different color on the tonal paint pallette ?

Speakers IMO make the single biggest tonal changes, they are like really spendy fix'd eq's.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Aug 2009, 07:37

When I picked up my new Metro JTM45/100 amp I knew I did not want the Lead 80s for that head, and since I was selling my 2466 I thought I would use its cabinet to setup speakers for the new amp coming.

I sold the four Lead 80s on local Craigs list and had plans to load it with four Heritage G12H celestions. After calling Dave at Avatars speakers whom I buy all my speakers through he made me aware of a deal he had on four Alnico Gold Celestions. I got them for $899 and loaded them into that cabinet for the JTM45/100, I can't think of a better speaker for anyone who has a 1987, 1959, or a JTM45 type amp. Because these amps are natrually bright in a good way these speakers really take advantage of that.

Well since I got my 2466 back I have been playing around with it bypassing my entire pedalboard trying the three different cabs I have. While all three sound great I think the cab with 2 Hellatone 30s and two 60Ls just screams with the 2466. The Alnicos sound great also with it but not enough to justify double the cost IMO. I can get four Hellatones for $389 shipped and these Alnico golds are $259 each. The next few months I will look for another 4x12 cabinet to use with the VM simply because I have decided to keep all four amps, I may go back to the Lead 80s or just look for a 425.

The VM sounds very good with the Alnicos but the answer is no, they are not worth the extra cost with the VM. Mainly because the VM gets much more gain than any of my other amps but the gain is also different and that is where the Alnicos kick ass. So what I would say is with the VM a mix of Hellatones hits hard and anyone should be very happy with that setup, but if you own a handwired Plexi type amp you simply cannot do better than a quad of the Alnicos, they are amazing and with those amps the extra cost is not only a non factor but rather a must.
Building on the platform of the Blue, the Gold is a higher-powered, Alnico-magnet speaker that recreates the unmistakable sonic signature of a ‘well played-in’ original. Over time, the high frequencies of a Blue soften and become less chalky as the cone becomes more flexible – a much sought after characteristic that the Gold exhibits straight out of the box. Also present in the Gold sound from the outset is an added warmth and complexity in the midrange which, coupled with the classic Alnico qualities of a laid-back attack, rounded low end and brilliant belllike highs, deliver huge rhythm voicings and saturated vocal lead tones.

The Gold is a wonderfully expressive and revealing loudspeaker, affording guitarists an unprecedented degree of dynamic control. It has already become a favourite for many working players worldwide whether picking and bending with Brad Paisley, or rocking hard with Danny Spitz of Anthrax
[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 07 Sep 2009, 10:33

I voted for the Greenbacks. Have tried all the others with the VM (except Lead 80 and Alnicos) and the Greenbacks wins easily in my world.

I really wanna try the Golds with the VM. My only experience with the Alnicos was with a VOX AC30 and it truly sang.

Surf, is the Golds louder than the G12Cs?

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”