Moderator: longfxukxnhair

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

G12Hs in VM combo

Postby StephenRutledge » 21 Oct 2009, 07:17

I couldn't help myself... I decided to swap the speakers in the VM for two of the blackbacks in my quad box. My quad box now has two G12Hs and two G12Cs - a classic mix. I was very pleased with the VM's tone after the switch over too... the old speakers sound really sweet. I was expecting them to sound harsh but they sound amazing. I went with 16 gauge copper strand speaker wire for both change overs and will keep the original Marshall speaker wires with spades if I ever need to put the original parts back. Well worth the effort.
:jam

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: G12Hs in VM combo

Postby LivewireBlanco » 23 Oct 2009, 12:44

I put the G12H30s in my VM combo and it rattled the tubes to death! They were way louder than my G12Cs that were in there and I didn't dig it very much. Also, in the 4x12 I would think that the G12Hs would overpower the G12Cs. :think
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: G12Hs in VM combo

Postby StephenRutledge » 23 Oct 2009, 14:52

The G12Hs I have are well broken in which makes a worlds of difference - they are about 32 years old - and have had a hard working life by the looks of things. G12Hs are notoriously difficult to break-in and can take a very long time to get settled. The Hs I've got have a beautiful mellow yet clear top end with a solid bass response that's not overly prominent - the mids and upper mids are lush and sizzle nicely when cranked. The G12Cs just fill in a few gaps in the EQ and fill out the sound well. I've heard that new Hs can sound like cardboard with a hard brittle top end if not fully broken in... if this is the case get your bass player to do a few gigs through them!
:Thumbs

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”