Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Opinions On 10" Celestions

Postby Spotted Dog » 27 Nov 2009, 05:58

I recently purchased a Dr. Z Galaxie head which is a very loud, extremely articulate, pentode/triode switchable 30 or 40 watts with gorgeous cleans on channel 1 and gobs of gain on channel 2. I have a 2x10" convertible back, vertically oriented cabinet and undecided on speakers between Celestion's Golds, Vintage 10s, or Greenbacks.

Anybody have thoughts or experience with any of these speakers? Thanks.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Opinions On 10" Celestions

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Nov 2009, 08:32

Man that is tough, you are just going to have to try some different speakers and see what sound great. The Golds are nice but a bit overpriced for sure. Many are raving about the Scumbacks with the Z amps.... your call man.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 28 Nov 2009, 09:17

Thanks for the input Surf, after much reading and research I am coming to the same conclusion. The gold is very appealing, but the pair would be $400, ouch!

I think I will try something different than I listed, leaning toward a couple of Weber Blue pups, reasonable price and similar tone to the Cele blues but with a high power rating so they should be able to hold up. The interest in the golds was their higher power rating.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Nov 2009, 10:28

Yea the Golds are something else but for double the price they are not double better over anything else IMO, good YES, is there to much hype with them... YEP.

The 4x12 cab I pair with the EZG50 has the Golds and they are great but if I had to do it over again would probably just get the Heritage G12H's and save a little money
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 29 Nov 2009, 11:35

Pulled the trigger on the 10" golds today. Ouch.

Thanks for the input Surf. After all the research and agonizing over the price, I finally went with these. The wattage and db is well matched to both Z heads, and I really wanted to be in this tonal neighborhood with these amps. The marshall and Mesa both use Celestion greenbacks and variations... M's H's C's and Vin 30s, so I opted for this direction. I'll let ya all know what I think in a few weeks.

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 30 Nov 2009, 23:10

http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-Vintage-10-Guit ... 4a9bf75fbf

Check that shit out for a good deal.

Edit, was looking at the wattage, you might have an issue, might pick up one for a Class 5 though.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 01 Dec 2009, 00:16

Kongels wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-Vintage-10-Guit ... 4a9bf75fbf

Check that shit out for a good deal.

Edit, was looking at the wattage, you might have an issue, might pick up one for a Class 5 though.
Thanks Kongels, there are good to reasonable deals on most 10's. The problem is, tonally they are all close to their 12" big brothers which I currently use or have tried. Started to look at Eminence but it just made the whole decision more confusing due to information overload. Anyway, I'll soon know if it was the right choice. If it wasn't, I'll be selling a lightly used pair of 10" Cele Golds for a good price. :bgrin

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Dec 2009, 11:26

You will love the Golds with the Z amp, it is a great match for those amps. Another good thing with the Golds is the resale value is great and they are always in demand.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 10 Dec 2009, 05:42

surfnorthwest wrote:You will love the Golds with the Z amp, it is a great match for those amps. Another good thing with the Golds is the resale value is great and they are always in demand.
Celestion claims they sound good right out of the box, they are right. Early returns are in the golds are pretty damn nice! I've played the Z heads through the 425A and now the 2x10 golds. The 2x10 cab is 100 watts and seems easily as loud as the 425A. I'm guessing because the golds are more efficient or have a higher db rating or both... :dunno

Next I'll have to try the 2266 through the Golds.

Of course there is very little time on the golds, but they are very articulate, and much more revealing than the greenbacks. The tone is beautiful, but a full review seems worthless until they have some more hours on them. So far so good though! :Thumbs

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Dec 2009, 14:25

It is hard not to be instantly impressed with the Gold Alnicos, but heck look at what they cost. The 4x12 I have paired with my Z is tone perfect. I agree they are loud but in a very smooth way. Sounds like to me you have a pretty killer set of amp and cabinet options :clap
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 11 Dec 2009, 08:26

surfnorthwest wrote:It is hard not to be instantly impressed with the Gold Alnicos, but heck look at what they cost. The 4x12 I have paired with my Z is tone perfect. I agree they are loud but in a very smooth way. Sounds like to me you have a pretty killer set of amp and cabinet options :clap
I am very fortunate to have the options.
You are right, they are loud and smoooooth.
(Edit: The 2x10 is not 100 watt cab as I mentioned above, its 80 watts.)

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”