tonytheoneandonly
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Marshall 1936V Question!!

Postby tonytheoneandonly » 25 Jan 2010, 22:55

Hey guys..

Ive got a Marshall VM 2266 that im running trough a Marshall 1936 Vintage Cab (V30`s ofc).
And my question is as followed:

What is the difference if i -

1. Use one cable and run the cab in Mono 8 ohm`s
2. Load both speakers at 16 ohm`s stereo

With difference i mean ANYTHING, tone/tubes/speakers/ectect.

Imo ive found out that there`s a sligth difference in punch and low end "bite" when i run @ 16 ohm`s, but i just can`t get to grips with this cause after what ive been told, the tubes get more strained at 8 ohm`s, resulting more heat to the tubes which in my mind should give more punch/distortion than the 16 ohm`s setting.

Or am i just waaaaay out here ;p

Also in addition to this, ive tested the cab with open back and closed back(stock) and got a significant difference in sound there.
Seemes like the sound gets to trapped in the closed enviroment and "mud`s" up to much, anyone else who have tested this and got the same result?

:)
Gear:
Guitars/Bass: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Epiphone SG, Epiphone EB-0 Bass, Cort Acoustic Guitar
Effect Pedals: Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper, Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive, Ibanez Jemeni Overdrive, Ibanez Tube King Distortion
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 + 1936Vintage Cab, Ashdown DSP 40w Combo Amp, Line6 Studio Bass Amp,
Studio: Presonous Inspire 1394 Soundcard, M1Active Studio Monitors, Shure SM57 Mic's, Samson Vocal Mic, Evolution MK449C Midi Keyboard

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Re: Marshall 1936V Question!!

Postby burnsy » 26 Jan 2010, 06:48

Hiya,
It looks to me like both your options are exactly the same.
I assume for both of your setups you are setting the amp to 8ohms?
With option 1 you are running the amp into and 8ohm speaker load which is provided by the 1936 cab parallel-ing the two 16ohm speakers together to give a final load of 8ohms. With option two you are running two 16ohm speakers and the parallel connection, to bring the total load back to 8ohms, is taking place inside the amp. Option 1 connects the two speakers together at the speaker cabinet, and option 2 makes the same connection at the amp's speaker sockets. I don't think there should be any difference at all to the amps performance.
The open-backed vs. closed-backed will provide a huge sound difference, as you've discovered, that can only be decided by your ears.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

tonytheoneandonly
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby tonytheoneandonly » 26 Jan 2010, 08:11

tyty =) helped me understand better ;) BUT nonetheless:

There are two outputs on the amp, and two outputs on the cab (16 ohm`s each), how are the 1936 wired? like when you are using two jacks from the amp to the cab? shouldn`t the setting on the amp be set on 16 ohm`s in that case? And set to 8 ohm`s, when you use the "8 ohm`s mono input" ?
Gear:
Guitars/Bass: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Epiphone SG, Epiphone EB-0 Bass, Cort Acoustic Guitar
Effect Pedals: Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper, Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive, Ibanez Jemeni Overdrive, Ibanez Tube King Distortion
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 + 1936Vintage Cab, Ashdown DSP 40w Combo Amp, Line6 Studio Bass Amp,
Studio: Presonous Inspire 1394 Soundcard, M1Active Studio Monitors, Shure SM57 Mic's, Samson Vocal Mic, Evolution MK449C Midi Keyboard

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 27 Jan 2010, 03:06

Hi again,
The two speaker outs on the amp are just two sockets wired in parallel. When you connect two 16ohm speakers to the amp, the parallel connection puts them together to give a total load of 8ohms, and this is what the ohm selector switch should be set to (two speakers in parallel = half the ohms).
I dont have a 1936 cab in front of me, but if I remember right, the sockets on the back of that cab are the same deal - two sockets in parallel. The two speakers in the cab are 16ohms each - use one of the sockets and you get both speakers in parallel (8ohms total) - use both the sockets and you get two seperate 16ohm loads, plug these two into the same amp and the amp sockets will put them in parallel again so the selector should again be set to 8ohms.
In summary - if you connect your cab to the amp with one lead you should set the amp to 8ohms - if you connect to the amp with two leads you should also set the amp to 8ohms. There should be no difference with the two setups. In one the parallel connection of the speakers is made in the cab and with the other the parallel connection is made in the amp. If you were to draw a logical circuit diagram to show what was going on they would be exactly the same.
Hope this helps a bit.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”