Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 42 times
Been liked: 42 times

1936 2x12 with Greenbacks

Postby Gonzo » 31 Jan 2010, 14:52

Just an update on my 212 with the new Greenbacks-I played a 4 hr gig last night-had the 2266 Master almost dimed, HDR, mid boost off , body and detail at 1 o'clock-tube screamer for lead boost-the speakers freakin' rocked. The 212 greenies kept up with my band (bass, drums, rhythm guitar). I even had the cab on the floor and never had a problem hearing. Did I mention we play LOUD? If you are considering these speakers, but are worried about 25watts-don't be. The breakup may not be something you want if you are playing alot of clean stuff, but Vintage Modern users don't do a heck of alot of that do we? I could go on and on-so much articulation on the Strat that I never got before-back up the volume on the guitar and chords and single notes were twangy and colorful. Crank it up and it sounded like early Van Halen-ish tone. Highs jumped out of the band mix, but were NOT HARSH. Ahhhhhh-never loved my amp this much until I heard it with the proper speakers. Can't wait to load up my 4x12 1960. Now I have to decide which speakers, and I'm inclined to maybe try mixing the g12m with the g12h30. Anyone running a cab this way? I'm a little concerned about the db sensitivity difference. Thanks for reading.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: 1936 2x12 with Greenbacks

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Jan 2010, 16:52

Well that is all good news, personally I would simply stick with the Greenbacks. You said you loved the tone and how they cut through the mix, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think there is something inbreed into every guitar player to always think there is something better, we are a hard bunch to please. Seriously I have tried many others only to find the Greenback is the correct speaker for the Vintage Modern IMO.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 31 Jan 2010, 17:10

You know what Surf..

Yer a goddamn genius man! If it ain't broke...lol. But we GAS'ers do have a high degree of option anxiety as well huh. If I do all Greens, I'll always wonder..what would Helllatone 30's do in there??? But again-the Strat and the VM cranked with those Greenbacks was just ungodly sweet tone. So thanks man, you're just a great resource, after all, you have tried all the speaker types I'm considering. Thanks for all the info.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Jan 2010, 19:30

Vintage 30s are great with the VM but again the Greenback is the correct speaker. You simply have better control of your sound when the VM and Greenbacks are paired. But no one is more guilty of trying to better something that is perfect than me. :ball kick
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 04 Feb 2010, 19:30

I'm gonna continue on this thread because after rehearsing with my Greenbacks the other night-I'm pretty sure I was driving the speakers into actual breakup, which was not a fun sound IMO. I had the MV at 3 o'clock, HDR, mid boost off, detail 11 o'clock, body 9 o'clock, bass 2 oclock, mid dimed, treble 9 o'clock. After playing for about 2 hours of glorious sound, LOUD as well, the speakers, very suddenly, just seemed to lose definition, low end got weak, highs became shrill, and the gain became....instead of a smooth roar, it was more of a spotty type sound. I unplugged from my effects and ran direct-same thing.
Anyway-since I love these speakers, and had decided to load the 4x12 with them (i was even entertaining the 20watt heritage or EVH version, ouch! my wallet) I was wondering if anyone running 80 or 100 watts of Greenbacks have trouble with breakup running a 50w head? Also, is this a normal thing? Should I be worried about the speakers?
As always, any input is appreciated!

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 04 Feb 2010, 20:12

Sounds more to me like your power tubes took a crap. I've been known to be wrong though.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 04 Feb 2010, 20:27

Hey Slowpoke,

Yeah-I was thinking about that too-they are about two years old now. I will have to run it through my other cab to check. The only reason I think it was the speakers not the amp, is because once I backed off the MV a bit, it seemed to go away-but that could be symptomatic of blown power tubes as well I suppose. Plus it wasn't like-absolute failure-it just suddenly lacked the authority and punch it had 5 min earlier. It was still just as loud also. But I'm gonna check all possibilities. Thanks for the input man! I guess I just really want someone's assurance that a 2266 usually can't breakup a 4x12 with Greenbacks before I order them.

On the positive side, I friggin love the sound of those speakers. They sound like cracklin' wood don't they?? I know that's a crazy description, and not something you would think you wanted your guitar tone to resemble, but the Marshall through those speakers reminds me of firewood being split. HAHA I've completely lost myself to tone-psycho verbal nuttiness. Sorry everyone lol

Gonz

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 04 Feb 2010, 20:36

When mine went I had a very similar experience. Amp suddenly sounded bad, loss of low end. Still had the volume but (like you said) lacked the balls I was used to. I thought it was the speakers too.
I don't think the 2266 will push a 4x12 of greenbacks into speaker breakup. Again, I could be wrong.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 04 Feb 2010, 20:56

Alright-guess it's time to shop for some new power tubes anyway-any recommendations anyone?

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 04 Feb 2010, 20:59

I have the Gold Lions and they are very good. A little expensive though.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 04 Feb 2010, 21:02

Thanks, I'll check em out.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 13 Feb 2010, 22:22

surfnorthwest wrote: But no one is more guilty of trying to better something that is perfect than me. :ball kick

:clap :laugher :laugher :laugher I thought I was the only one that couldn't leave shit as it was. I've been soldering pickups left and right. I have learned more about what I don't like than finding what I do like, if that makes sense.

Anyone wanna buy some barely used humbuckers :doh

-- Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 pm --

I'm thinkin Slowpoke might be on it here. G12M's are an early breakup type speaker though. Something with slower breakup might be more to your liking maybe ?

I've come to really like the way speakers come into their own when pushed at proper sound levels. I've often wondered when people complain about how whatever amp sounds like at a lower level that alot of their disappointment has to do with the speakers not bringin on the glory. Yes it would seem just about any amp sounds better when turned up, but I think the speakers have a huge impact on this effect.

This is the main reason why I think attenuators kinda blow.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 13 Feb 2010, 23:22

Yeah-I rehearsed with them again the other night-different guitar, a little different settings, and I noticed a tiny bit of speaker distortion late into the session-nothing to worry about. I ran LDR with the MV at about 4 o'clock, detail up at 3 o'clock, body at 10 o'clock, mid boost off-beautiful raw power tube overdrive. I love this amp with those speakers. I'm getting ready to fix my 4x12 up with either Greenbacks or Scumback m75's. I think you're right about really working the speakers though.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 13 Feb 2010, 23:32

I used to hate speaker breakup, I thought it was like a flaw or something to be avoided at all costs. It honestly took my ear a little while to adjust to GB's, but I have discovered that speaker breakup and overdrive via playing dynamics/pick attack can open a whole nother page of expression.

Every player should have a cab with some GB's in it.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”