Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Random speaker question

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 04 Feb 2010, 12:30

Hi again all, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on speaker questions.

I Currently own a 1960a lead cab which I am going to do a total refurb of it, new tolex, grill cloth, speakers....... etc.

I have decided to go all out and get the vintage 30's and G12H-30's in a cross pattern, but noticed that the V30's are 60watts a piece and the G12H's are 30 watts each, I know surf mentioned something about this in a thread already but i can't seem to find the thread again.

My question is will these be alright with a 2266? All I remember Surf saying was that the normal adding up the speaker wattages will give you the total output, UNLESS they are different wattages.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

I will post pictures of the restoration process in it's own little thread if anyone's interested, seems much cheaper to do than going out and buying a new cab.
Guitars: 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Stagg Strat Copy
Tokai ALS48 with Alnico 2 Pro Humbuckers (Bridge and Neck)
1980's Hohner with SD Vintage 59' Humbuckers (Bridge and Neck)
Ibanez RG470

Amps: JVM410HJS with Matching Cab (Blue)
2266 and 1960a loaded with G-12C's
JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

FX: Boss TU-2, Dunlop 535Q, EH Neo Clone and Flashback Delay.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Random speaker question

Postby surfnorthwest » 04 Feb 2010, 12:53

You have a 50 watt amp so your speaker(s) need to be able to handle at least 50 watts.

So sticking with two Vin30s and two G12H speakers we have to add the wattage.

So logically you would think you have 60+60+30+30= 180 :no

The correct way to add it is to take you lowest wattage speaker (in your case 30 watts) and add the three others by the same. So 30+30+30+30= 120 total watts availible on the cabinet, your good to go with either a 50 or 100 watt head :Thumbs
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 04 Feb 2010, 13:07

Thanks Surf, I hate it when self doubt kicks in and you just aren't sure about something.

Thanks again. :yea
Stagg Strat Copy
Ibanez RG470

JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 04 Feb 2010, 13:14

No problem, that's what makes this forum great, it is here to share knowledge and opinions.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 06 Feb 2010, 08:00

V30s and G12H30s mixed will sound great too.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Jizzmasterzero
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Jizzmasterzero » 06 Feb 2010, 08:37

Green Manalishi wrote:V30s and G12H30s mixed will sound great too.
This forum is responsible for my choice in speakers.

After extensive research into speakers and combinations of and how much people here liked them I decided to "pull the trigger".

It's so much cheaper just buying speakers than going out and buying a new cab, all in all it was only £250 for all four. Saved myself £250.

But now I have a new problem altogether, GAS.

I love and hate this site, reasons being:

Love: So many helpfull, wise and friendly people here, giving great advise.

Hate: I am now spending way more money than I have on Guitars, Speakers, Leads, Stompboxes and such that I am always within my first week of being paid...........Skint, and then one month later some new gizmo comes out that is awesome and then I have to get that.

But it doesn't matter as my neighbour is deaf so I can play as loud as I like. We can't take our money with us when we will inevitably go to visit "The red horny one" so i'm spending it while I have it.

Thanks guys, I say guys but are there any women here that use the VM or is this strickly a sausage fest?

In all seriousness this place is great, all thanks to every one who frequent here. You all Rock :jam :yea
Stagg Strat Copy
Ibanez RG470

JCM800 2210 with 1960AV
Line 6 Spider Jam

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 42 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Gonzo » 06 Feb 2010, 09:56

Hey Jizz,

I totally feel your pain man-before I started reading this forum, I couldn't have cared less about my gear and my rig. I just got some stuff I knew was pretty good, plugged in and turned up. Now I want all this high end, great sounding stuff. But it's better to be focused and caring about your tone than ignorant about it.
I'll get a little philosophical here-I think the reason I was not focused on my gear is because I was hyper-focused on WHAT I was playing in an intellectual/technical sense. I learned music theory quite extensively at a relatively young age-even studied bebop jazz (gasp). I pretty much related to music as a puzzle or a math problem at that point-believe me I'm glad I learned it but... at some point you realize that virtuoso stuff is great, but there's almost nothing better than the way your ears and body react to say...the AC/DC song "Hells Bells" cranked up at a nice volume-loud enough to affect you physically. Reading this forum got me thinking about why we all want to create guitar music-because it physically FEELS GOOD. That's the stuff that turned us on to it in the first place, right? Then some may start learning guitar, and become all concerned with being the best, fastest, most awe inspiring player around-and forget that the coolest stuff is just the simplest usually-but played with a great sound. So thanks to all who participate in this forum for reminding me that the reason music is good is because it makes us feel good.

And with the world the way it is right now, we could use some feeling good.

Sorry for the sermon guys...haha

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”