Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 42 times
Been liked: 42 times

Scumback M75

Postby Gonzo » 06 Feb 2010, 14:35

Anyone here using Scumbacks? I've been reading their site, and I'm close to buying 4 new speakers for my 1960a cab-they appear to be awesome.

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Scumback M75

Postby CBoothe » 08 Feb 2010, 17:24

I haven't got them yet, but I ordered a set last Saturday for my Avatar
2 x 12- M75s, 65 watters. The guy who runs the place answered my initial e-mailed question in 20 minutes and the two follow ups I had immediately. He was out of stock in 100 watters- said those would be 3 weeks or so backordered.

I'll let you know what I think about the tone, but so far I'm impressed with the customer service. They shipped out today and should be here Friday. :beerme

-- Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm --

I haven't got them yet, but I ordered a set last Saturday for my Avatar
2 x 12- M75s, 65 watters. The guy who runs the place answered my initial e-mailed question in 20 minutes and the two follow ups I had immediately. He was out of stock in 100 watters- said those would be 3 weeks or so backordered.

I'll let you know what I think about the tone, but so far I'm impressed with the customer service. They shipped out today and should be here Friday. :beerme
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 08 Feb 2010, 20:48

Can't wait to hear what you think.

BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed your story about buying your second VM-made me laugh a few times, I always have to justify buying more gear to the missus-and I make money when the band gigs! GAS is tough on a marriage lol!

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby CBoothe » 09 Feb 2010, 15:34

Hey Gonzo-Maybe I can be successful with another creative art-writing- since I suck at guitar playing! Actually my wife is pretty awesome but I don't want to wear out her patience.

I'll let you know what I think of the speakers- Everyone raves about greenbacks and also about Scumbacks so I had to try them out. And I needed something that could stand the power of the 100 watt head.

I'll let you know! :yea

-- Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm --

Hey Gonzo-Maybe I can be successful with another creative art-writing- since I suck at guitar playing! Actually my wife is pretty awesome but I don't want to wear out her patience.

I'll let you know what I think of the speakers- Everyone raves about greenbacks and also about Scumbacks so I had to try them out. And I needed something that could stand the power of the 100 watt head.

I'll let you know! :yea

-- Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:35 pm --

Well, I'm pretty bummed out- I got a speaker today- only one-ordered two. :cuss

So I shot Jim at Scumback a quick e-mail because I wanted to make sure the other one wasn't left on the truck. Literally within 2 minutes of hitting send he called me. Basically he said he messed up (he actually used a more colorful word!) and only shipped one and would get the other out the door Monday.

So I'm seriously bummed out but I do appreciate his honesty and customer service. Now I have something to look forward to next week.
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall 425A
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 13 Feb 2010, 20:27

AWWWW man-I feel yer pain. Right here. Anyway let me know when ya hook em up-I'm thinking about going the 4 X 65 watt route-so when I grow up and get a 100 watt head I don't have to buy another cab. That's alot of cheddar for 4 speakers, but shoot- if they're as good as everyone claims, I may as well do it right. Trying to go on the cheap is what got me all the junk gear I have now. Except the VM of course. I keep waffling though-I could get 4 g12m's from Avatar for $389 plus shipping. The 4 Scumbacks will be $700-yow! Oh well-just doing my part to spur the economy.

JD23USA
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby JD23USA » 19 Feb 2010, 07:54

Just Rec'd a set of M75-LHDC 65 for my avatar 2x12. Very much GB Tone. About 50/60 hrs Break in time. Let you Know!!!! :party
GIBSON LP 'O8 50'S NK STANDARD W/ SETH LOVER PUPS
EPIPHONE SHERATON II
FENDER CUSTOM SHOP '62 STRAT
FENDER CUSTOM SHOP TELE
MARSHALL VM 2266 HD / MARSHALL 6100 HD / MARSHALL YJM 100
FENDER '64 VIBROVERB CST W/ JBL D-130F
FENDER '57 TWEED PRINCETON
FENDER '63 REVERB UNIT RI
FENDER '63 VIBROVERB
FENDER '54 TWEED DELUXE
FENDER '72 RI TELE CUSTOM
MARSHALL 425A
AVATAR (X2) 2 X 12s 1) Hellatone 30 & 60 2) Scumback M75-LHDC
AVATAR 2 X 10 W/ WAREHOUSE VETERANS

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby CBoothe » 23 Feb 2010, 16:55

Ok- I got the other Scumback and put it in my Avatar 2 x 12. Here's my "review."

A caveat- I would bet that most people on this forum are better guitar players than me. That's ok- I can place decent rhythm, melodic leads and get better all the time. I could probably improve with a few lessons, but half the enjoyment for me is teaching myself.

Also- the only thing I have to compare it to is a 4 x 12 with V30s in it.

Finally, believe it or not, I am a pretty decent writer and do so a lot for work. Having said that I probably could not write for a guitar magazine because I'm betting the right words will escape me in trying to capture what I'm hearing.

So take this review with a grain of salt.

I put in 2 Scumback M75 65 watters.

And the short version is I really like what I hear. The tone seems a bit darker or "bassier" to me, but in a very satisfying way. It seems when I hit a chord there is this rumbly crunch I was not hearing with the V30s, almost like I can hear the strings vibrate. In addition, it seems, whether the guitar volume is down or up I can hear almost a clean sound for each string even though it's crunchy. I guess that would be articulation.

My Les Paul is pretty bright and I only recently discovered that I should roll off the treble and presence to get the tone I'm looking for(use the eq- a novel thought! :doh ), and even though I tweaked the eq, I eventually came back to the same settings I had with the V30s.

Are they worth the 320 bucks I spent? I can't answer that. I would not have bought them had I not had some ebay and birthday money. I'm that there are speakers out there that I would be just as happy with.

But I'd read good things about Scumbacks, and armed with some cash, decided to try them out.

Are the differences I'm hearing a 2 x 12 versus a 4 x 12? Possibly. I can't really compare.

But right now, I'm very happy with them. The crunch I get is very appealing and and when I throw on a tube screamer I dig the very juicy crunch.

On the low range clean it seems very chimey, but again a bit darker than the V30s, which I really like.

So far, I'm much happier with these than the V30's.

One other thing I'll mention is that someone on another post mentioned the guy was an ass over the phone. I don't doubt it, but my experience is just the opposite. Jim was super quick to answer e-mail- usually within 20 minutes. I had several questions and he was very patient with my "noob-ness." :bgrin

He did screw the order up, as you can see in the post above. He initially only sent one. When I e-mailed him, he called literally within 2 minutes of hitting send, admitted he screwed up royally and got the other one out asap.
If you got the money (it grows on trees right?)- try them out!
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall 425A
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Gonzo » 23 Feb 2010, 17:15

Glad to hear you're happy with them man, if I hadn't already pulled the trigger on the G12M's, I would have got those, but I had to use logic-and since I was really diggin the G12M's-I figured go with what I like. I should get mine Thursday. I'm glad you got your speaker and are happy with it!

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Feb 2010, 18:25

Very good review. :Thumbs
From what I've read, the M75 can be a bit dark, the H75 (G12H-30) can be a bit bright and a lot of people pair them up in a 2x12.

Return to “Speakers and Cabinets”