Moderator: longfxukxnhair

langmurf
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Rockitt Retro '68 spec 1987 clones

Postby langmurf » 24 Feb 2013, 01:22

Hi, folks! Been lurking here for a bit now. Great Marshall site; really like it.

Thought I'd share this info... the Rockitt Retro amps are made by a single guy. He started off selling on ebay but has become very popular, over on thegearpage.net, and takes direct orders too.

Do a search on ebay for "rockitt retro" and look at completed auctions. Builder's ebay account name is rockittretro, i.e., any amps sold by other account names are used sales from owners, not the builder. (I'm saying to look at completed sales because, as I write this, there are no new or used units listed for sale... by the time you search ebay, there may be new or used units listed for sale.)

High quality parts built to 1987 '68 spec by an obviously qualified builder. At a ridiculously reasonable price for a hand-wired amp. Just thought I'd share this info for folks who might be interested in a great deal on a hand-wired 1987 clone.

I bought my RR in the amp emporium over on thegearpage.net from the original owner. Mine has the PPIMV option, which I highly recommend, especially to bedroom warriors. That said, I think the PPIMV is a valuable option even for pros who might play smaller rooms.

Here are some photos of my RR:

Amps: Marshall 1w Offset head/cab; Orange Tiny Terror Hardwired; Line6 Amplifi 75
Gits: '07 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

GuitarBuilder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 288 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: Rockitt Retro '68 spec 1987 clones

Postby GuitarBuilder » 24 Feb 2013, 11:20

What do you consider a "ridiculously reasonable price"?
Marshall 6100LM - 1960A Cab/G12T75
Marshall JVM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
Marshall JTM-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12H30
Marshall JMP-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12M20
Marshall JCM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/Vintage 30
Marshall DSL-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
BOSS Katana 100W Head

Kemper Profiler Rack

Custom Rockman Stage Head
Rockman Superhead 100W
Custom ADA MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2 Stage Head

Roland GR-20, GR-55, VG-99, BOSS GP-10, SY-300 Synths

Lots of Les Paul's and Strats

langmurf
<25
<25

Postby langmurf » 25 Feb 2013, 05:24

GuitarBuilder wrote:What do you consider a "ridiculously reasonable price"?
$1,299 with LAR/MAR PPIMV, $1,199 without.
Amps: Marshall 1w Offset head/cab; Orange Tiny Terror Hardwired; Line6 Amplifi 75

jboyjams
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby jboyjams » 25 Feb 2013, 08:35

Yeah I've been wanting one of these - especially wondering about the PPIMV.
My 1996 1987x sounds so good but I need to control the volume (had a Hotplate and stil have a UA) - I'm wondering if I'd like a PPIMV better than an attenuator.

When using the PPIMV just to lower the volume somewhat for a gig - and the amp set around 4 for just a little breakup, it is still possible to boost the amp's volume (and gain) with an overdrive or clean boost? (or does it just get dirtier without increasing volume?)

(much nicer people on this forum eh!? - sometimes that other forum wears me out - especially when talking about Marshall amps or the RR)
Amps - Marshall Super 100JH, 1987x, 2204 Master Volume, 4502, Bassman 59 LTD, Fender Champ (79), Fender 75
Guitars - Les Paul Standard, ES-335, 62 Strat RI, 85 MIJ Squier Tele, Guild D55
Effects - Picture Wah, Octafuzz, Sunface NKT, KOT, KR Boost, MDV-2, DM-2

langmurf
<25
<25

Postby langmurf » 25 Feb 2013, 21:53

jboyjams wrote:Yeah I've been wanting one of these - especially wondering about the PPIMV.
My 1996 1987x sounds so good but I need to control the volume (had a Hotplate and stil have a UA) - I'm wondering if I'd like a PPIMV better than an attenuator.

When using the PPIMV just to lower the volume somewhat for a gig - and the amp set around 4 for just a little breakup, it is still possible to boost the amp's volume (and gain) with an overdrive or clean boost? (or does it just get dirtier without increasing volume?)

(much nicer people on this forum eh!? - sometimes that other forum wears me out - especially when talking about Marshall amps or the RR)
Hey, man! Good to see you here. I can only assume this forum is going to be slightly more supportive of Marshall type clones, although some of the guys on the other forum are Marshall geeks too.

I can speak to the attenuator/PPIMV thing... I had a '73 1959 (100w) Marshall and an Aracom PRX150-PRO. I really liked the Aracom attenuator; it did a great job taming the Super Lead. Then a guy hit me up, asking if he could drop by with his self-made Metro 1959 that had the LAR/MAR PPIMV installed, to do an A/B comparison of the Aaracom and the LAR/MAR PPIMV.

Long story short, the LAR/MAR won the day. I ended up selling the 1959 and the Aracom and when the RR's became available, i scooped up a used one with the PPIMV.

One of the things that swung me over to the LAR/MAR was that I had realized that I was a "Marshall Guy" and a Marshall head and PPIMV would suit me just fine. (And to narrow it down even further... I'm really a "NMV Marshall Guy" who needs a MV. lol)

Sure, there are situations that an attenuator might better fulfill one's needs. If one has, say, multiple heads and multiple cabs, the Aracom, or another high dollar attenuator, might make sense. But for someone like myself, who has found that a specific amp puts a smile on my face, the PPIMV does as good a job, sonically, and costs a fraction of what a high end attenuator costs. A no-brainer for me.

As to the question about using an overdrive or clean boost... I cannot answer that because i don't have either type of pedal. I would suggest trying the Metro forum and just look for posts about the LAR/MAR and how it works in the situation you're asking about. Good luck with that; would love to hear the answer you come up with.

jboyjams
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby jboyjams » 26 Feb 2013, 07:00

Thanks Man that's good info. I may end up gatting a LAR/MAR in my 1987x. It's from 1996 with Drake transformers and really sounds great. I hear that the LAR/MAR can be dialed completely out of the circuit, and I wonder if there's any difference at all in tone when comparing the RR with vs. without the PPIMV (dialed out). If it has no affect, then I need to get this done!
Amps - Marshall Super 100JH, 1987x, 2204 Master Volume, 4502, Bassman 59 LTD, Fender Champ (79), Fender 75
Guitars - Les Paul Standard, ES-335, 62 Strat RI, 85 MIJ Squier Tele, Guild D55
Effects - Picture Wah, Octafuzz, Sunface NKT, KOT, KR Boost, MDV-2, DM-2

langmurf
<25
<25

Postby langmurf » 26 Feb 2013, 20:26

jboyjams wrote:Thanks Man that's good info. I may end up gatting a LAR/MAR in my 1987x. It's from 1996 with Drake transformers and really sounds great. I hear that the LAR/MAR can be dialed completely out of the circuit, and I wonder if there's any difference at all in tone when comparing the RR with vs. without the PPIMV (dialed out). If it has no affect, then I need to get this done!
The design is to take it out of the circuit when it's dimed... The LAR/MAR is my chosen solution; sounds as good as, if not better, than attenuators costing 6-8 times more. And... One less piece of gear to drag along and add to the rig.

lamusician
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby lamusician » 29 Aug 2016, 06:29

I just ordered one from Kevin. The guy is amazing. The price is amazing. The build is amazing.
If anyone has a time machine mine, won't be done until Thanksgiving.

I have a Marshall TSL that Jeff Seal modded for me (I gave someone his number and they said he died??? That isn't true is it?) The TSL plays nice I have a 2x12 cab loaded with WGS speakers.
1 Retro 30
1 Vintage 30
the combination is great.RR

The studio pic is actually modified. There was a Bugera 1960i plexi clone there I photo- shopped a RR pic in there (creative visualization thanks langmuff lol) I was able to find the actual Marshall font. I am going to have the logo made. kinda cool how it looks like Marshall but isn't.

1960i well if nothing else it cemented my desire for a plexi. it seems to fit me better than the JCM800s.
Had a problem with the 1960i. I am not sold on that auto bias feature. My tubes looked like pumpkins things smelled bad then the fuse blew. I thought the JJs I pulled out of my Marshall fried but after re biasing no drift after 3 hours everything on 10 with 1 hour of playing time in the middle of that. I sent the head back. I could have gotten another one and $400 was an amazing price BUT I decided to just take it as a sign and use the money and give it to Kevin!

new-rockitt-mykill2.jpg
new-rockitt-mykill2.jpg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 2036 times
Amps-
Rockitt Retro 50 watt plexi clone COMING SOON!!!
Marshall TSL601 (Modded by Jeff Seal)
Bugera V5
Guitars-
2016 Epiphone Sheraton
1988 Burny '59 Les Paul
2012 Les Paul replica Snake
1996 Fernandes AGP
1990 Ibanez RG570
1990 Fernandez LE1 Strat
1980 Fender The Strat Custom rebuild
1970 6770 Epiphone Acc
1987 Fender P Bass