Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fender Deville 212

Postby HydroPnik » 11 Jun 2008, 07:45

I picked up a '94 Deville in tweed, but one of the previous owners decided that they wanted a silver amp so they spray painted the tweed silver. :evil: I don't want to spend the extra cash to recover so if anyone has any secrets on removing paint from tweed let me know. The pots need a good cleaning and I need to pick up some new 6l6 tubes but overall it's a sweet score for $140. 8) It's my new practice and backup amp and the Marshall will be used for gigs.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall 1960TV

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby HydroPnik » 31 Aug 2008, 06:35

I must say that I'm very impressed with this amp now. I had a small gig last weekend and I brought the Fender instead of the Marshall and it sounded great. I recently got it back from being worked over at Savage Audio (Savage Guitar Amps) and they redid a bunch of soldier joining and put in two new speakers - a Jensen P12R Alnico and a Jensen C12N Celestion. I am surprised at the breakup on this thing - very subtle, and every note sings through in that chimey Fender clean tone. That ugly-assed amp sounds great!

Last band practice I ran both the Fender and Vintage Modern (on low dynamic). I had forgotten that my Furman pedal board could split the signal to two amps so I put my Boss tuner in the loop, then ran a feed to each of the amps. Between the pedal board and the VM is a Keeley modded TS9 tubescreamer and between the board and the Fender are all of my other effects. I boosted the volume on the TS9 and it runs dirty all of the time except for songs that need cleans - essentially it's my dry rig. The Fender runs wet. We have a gig this coming Saturday and were asked to play Los Lonely Boys, Crazy Dream. I got everything dialed in and started the into and just about shat myself when I heard the tone that I was getting. We had the CD playing over the PA to learn the changeovers and our drummer, who was sitting across the room in direct line of my rigs, made the comment that my tone was exactly like Henry Garza's. I must say that I was amazed at the tone of the two amps running concurrently - it is, without a doubt, that gritty, chimey, 3 dimensional Texas blues tone that I love so freaking much. 8)
Marshall 1960TV

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 31 Aug 2008, 07:48

The Deville is a great little amp for the money. I will give you some tones the VM won't. Look into the Voodoo Labs amps switcher, it will allow you to run up to four different amps at the same time and run them seprate are mix together.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HydroPnik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby HydroPnik » 31 Aug 2008, 08:28

Thanks Surf and Faze for your suggestions. I think what I'll end up doing is painting it black - oddly enough I've seen black tweed amps and they look somewhat cool. If I wanted to re-tolex it I'd need a new cab. This one is pretty beat and the corners are all jacked up. I think black would be the best bet. One thing is for certain....I can tell which one is mine.

Surf - I may check into the Voodoo Labs switcher at some point. It would be cool to kill one or the other amp at the tap of a toe but right now the drop in volume when the TS9 isn't engaged does pretty well. I wouldn't term it a small amp - it's 60 watts keeps up with my 2466 no problem...in fact, I've been running my VM's volume at about 6-8 (detail~3:00, body~1:00) and the Blues Deville at 2 (it goes to 12). It's a loud amp.
Marshall 1960TV

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”