Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Ahh another amp in the everending quest

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Aug 2008, 14:32

Ah the endless search for tone. I recently sold my Fender Deluxe Reverb amp and today replaced it with a new Fender Super Sonic 60w Head. Although I spent over two hours in a store playing every Fender amp there is (Fun Stuff) In the end the Super Sonic won out over every other Fender.

While the 22 watt Deluxe Reverb was a great little amp, it just would not project when paired with the VM and my DSL. The Super Sonic has no problem keeping up.
The amp will be one of three I use in the studio. I have it hooked up as a Marshall DSL100 going through a G12K 100 4x12 cab, a Marshall Vintage Modern going through a Vintage 30 4x12 cab, and now this Supersonic which will be paired with a Lead 80 4x12 cabinet.

I am hoping this amp will cover my Texas crunch and give me a different option on my cleans than the Marshalls offer.

Playing all the new Fender amps this seemed to be a very under rated amp, the amp can deliver monster tones from Bassman clean to a very un-Fender like heavy gain. I will use a Voodoo Labs amp switcher on stage with this and the two Marshalls. This head gives me the headroom to keep up with both 100 watt Marshalls.

Below is a really cool interactive web site that shows you the tones of the Super Sonic.

http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 29 Aug 2008, 14:45

Very cool head, but you may find the Lead 80s a bit bright/harsh with it.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 29 Aug 2008, 16:50

Nice choice Surf. That is the amp I was considering that my 2266 beat out. those 2 clean voices are alot of fun.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: super sonic

Postby bluesbrother » 31 Aug 2008, 13:58

Congrats,
If projection is what you want , have you thought of the Super reverb or Twin reverb custom 15?
I am also trying to find the ultimate fender but >> i take it slow and
decide to wait till i am more sure about what i want.
The supersonic must be the most versatile fender kind of like the vintage modern?
Please surf let us know how this amp sounds through the 425A cab
When you told us you liked to hook the deluxe reverb to the 425a i knew you were hooked to a 4x12
sound.I got the same .... my 1974X has got to go.
Maybe a supersonic ..... :roll:
All the best,
Bluesbrother.
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Sep 2008, 05:50

Fender sells Vintage 30 cabs with the Super Sonic, my thoughts are to use the head with my Lead 80s cab since they are very much like a Vin 30 but with less mids. I jumped the gun a bit when I bought the Deluxe Reverb, and although it was a great little amp it was no where near what the super sonic can deliver. The SS can give you classic Fender clean to Heavy Metal, and some Texas style blues crunch that is fantastic.

I would try to find a dealer that sells Fender amps and do what I did. Grab a good Strat or Tele off the wall and spend whatever time it takes and try them all. One of the other things that sold me on the SS is that I only needed a head and like my VM and DSL I can swap cabs.

I wish Fender would build a rack module preamp that was all tube and you you could dial in all the classic Fender tones. Heck I would line up to buy that.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Deputy Dawg
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Deputy Dawg » 13 Sep 2008, 20:02

Hey,

Thanks for the lowdown on this amp. It is the most interesting amp (IMHO) that Fender has made in years. Interestingly, it seems to be Fender's attempt to bridge the "vintage/modern" gap. They have so much great vintage amps to base their clean tones on so it is nice to see a couple of clean tones coupled with a more modern "high gain" sound. I almost picked up a Fender "The Twin" (a.k.a. the "Evil Twin") a number of years ago... but to me, it just didn't hit the mark. These new Super Sonic amps seem to be very well thought out.... Maybe I'll test drive one.

My first Marshall was/is the Vintage Modern combo.... Maybe my first Fender will be a Super Sonic.... (any thoughts on the Super Sonic combo? Is there one?)

Deputy Dawg
Tone is a subjective thing, and a subject I love talking about...

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Sep 2008, 22:43

Interestingly, it seems to be Fender's attempt to bridge the "vintage/modern" gap.
It is like a Vintage Modern in many ways, The two clean modes are just classic Fender, loud as hell for a 60watt amp with more than enough headroom. The Dirty channel can sound more heavy metal than the VM also but this is a much different gain sound than the VM.

My favorite thing about this amp is you can absolutly get killer tones at bedroom levels from it. Plus the singing harmonic feedback is so easy even at lower volumes. Very nice campanion to the VM. Another thing is how hood it sounds with the unbalanced line out to a mixer great for recording without a mic. I am currently using a 4x12 Vintage 30s cab with it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”