Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

PRS unveils new line of amps at 2008 open house

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 22 Sep 2008, 14:59

PRS announced they were going to market a new line of PRS amps. They have been developing this line for years and hired Doug Sewell. There will be 4 models sold as heads and combos with the names: Sewell, Dallas, Jenna and Blue Sierra. The amps are hand wired. They feature 6L6 or EL34 power tubes at 50 or 100 watts. I like the metal corners. They are covered in a heavy upholstery fabric.

I only got to play through one for a moment. All of the performers played PRS guitars through these amps. The artists had different stop boxes and obviously different hands. I couldn't really say how versatile the amps are, but there was a certain commonality of tone.

The Dallas.

The fabric cover.

The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Sep 2008, 16:20

PRS has actually made amps before. Early on. They were solid state but supposedly sounded really good. I almost bought one but didn't want to buy any amp (especially solid state) without hearing it first. Kick myself now. Probably worth some serious money.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Sep 2008, 19:50

I am too much of a Homer with Marshalls, I have owned them since I was 15 and while I allowed a Fender Super Sonic into my house I just would feel like a slut if I had an amp like that. Marshall has served me well through the years and I am simply to closed minded to own a boutique type amp. Now their guitars are another story, I want the one below.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 22 Sep 2008, 20:26

I stumbled onto that year's Dragon when they were brand new. It was in a little music store in a town of about 9,000 people. I think the store was struggling financially. I could have bought it for dealer cost at time, which I think was around $4,000. It may as well have been $40,000 at the time because I didn't have $4,000. Well, those Dragons now go for about $25,000.

Is PRS too big to be considered a boutique? They currently have approximately 250 employees and are in the process of constructing a new building.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Sep 2008, 20:38

I had a McCarty for awhile. What can I say, it was a GREAT guitar. I didn't care for the pickups that much & if I would have kept it I would have changed them. Funny thing is, it was too perfect. Does that make any sense? I sold it to help with the downpayment on my house. Kinda wish I still had it though.

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”