Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Just got my first Dr Z amp

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 00:50

Been looking at these Dr Z amps for a while now and thought that the EZG-50 was the right amp for the studio. I bought it to get those twangy Fender tones, SRV, blues, and Surf type tones which are all vintage Fender tones my other amps don't give me. It really has that classic Bassman sound with a excellent built in reverb. I felt this was the best match to go along with my other amps so one of my four other amps has got to go. Since the handwired Plexis are so close in tone anyways I will part with one of them.

[youtube][/youtube]

I have decided that my new Metro JTM-45 is or my Granger M50 is going to be the odd man out, If anyone is interested in making me a offer on either amp send me a PM.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Just got my first Dr Z amp

Postby Spotted Dog » 29 Sep 2009, 07:53

Congrats man! Did you have a chance to play one first?
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 09:00

Yes I played one in Portland a few weeks ago but the store did not want move off the $1800 price to sell the "demo model" OK no sale,

They are like a Fender Twin/or Bassman but without that natrual Fender compression, very very articulate. They have pre and post volumes so the post acts as a master volume, the You tube demo is pretty good at showing the tones. What it doesn't show is how it rips wih a overdrive pedal in front. I did not care much for the lower wattage DRz stuff probably because it was all combos but this amp I loved. Again just got it to do all the clean reverb type tones.

I don't have it yet as I just got it yesterday and it is being shipped.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 29 Sep 2009, 09:22

That clip is great, I've lusted after many of their products over the years, but have yet to pull the trigger.

You know the rap on those amps?

"Nobody can eat just one!" :laugh

Faze?
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Lungo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lungo » 29 Sep 2009, 14:03

Which music store in Portland? Seems like every time I go there with my wife we can only seem to find the Guitar Center. :dunno

Edt: Congrats on the new amp! I'm looking for a new amp myself, not sure what I want yet.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 15:27

I believe it was Apple Music, it was one of the stores downtown on 1st. PM sent.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 29 Sep 2009, 15:42

Surf, I am going to put myself up for adoption just so I can play your amps man, I can learn to be a conservative with all the great gear you got rolling through there. Was it Apple Music in Portland? Lungo if you are in Seattle check out Emerald City Guitars next time, he has some great Vintage stuff and Dr. Z in stock as well.

lol, I started typing this then got sidetracked with a Starbucks run.

Lungo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Lungo » 29 Sep 2009, 16:36

Apple Music, I'll have to remember that.

That place is .3 of a mile from where we go for Dim Sum! (Thanks to google maps)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 17:06

I can learn to be a conservative with all the great gear you got rolling through there.
Honestly I have been in a trial and error phase. I know I want to keep the VM because of what I can do with it. I also would never sell my 70 Metro Superlead, I love the 100 watt Plexis. The Granger can get some of the same tones as the Metro but with its master volume you can really get some grit, basically a 1987 amp hot rodded. I would stay with the Granger if I were gigging. The JTM45/100 is really a killer amp BUT again for those type of tones I am really close with the 70 Superlead that there is not enough of a difference to keep them both.

I truley only have room for four amps and the 2466 and the 70 Superlead are nailed down and not going anywhere. The DrZ will replace the JTM45 and give me my blues and Fender cleans. I will later depart with the M50 Granger for a new Granger that is going to be introduced later this year. That amp will be a two channel based on a hand wired 20 watt two-channel studio amp. The clean channel is based solely off a 68 Marshall Plexi but with firmer bass response, and the high gain channel is that of a Soldano Atomic 16 and the Marshall 2204 (taking the best off the two together)..

It will run on 2 6V6s or KT66s and be channel foot switchable with stereo XLRs. Of course all the good stuff such as Sozo caps and Mercury Magnetics 050JM-M transformer and some extreme mods making the onboard eq very responsive. It will also have plate reverb and a tube rectifier. That should become the ultimate studio recording amp, still in the works.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 29 Sep 2009, 17:30

And a COT50!!!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 17:35

Here is a better demo EZG 50 amp, and since I am after those Mark Knopfler tones with this check it out

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

BNS
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 2 times

Postby BNS » 29 Sep 2009, 19:36

Congrats Surf. I haven't tried any Dr. Z other than my Maz Jr. but it absolutely kicks ass and has become my main amp. I'm sure you will enjoy your Z.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Sep 2009, 20:21

Thanks man, I was able to also try a Maz 38 which was very nice and a Route 66 which was very Mesa Mark like to me. The EZG 50 watt instantly grabbed me.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 30 Sep 2009, 07:40

surfnorthwest wrote:Here is a better demo EZG 50 amp, and since I am after those Mark Knopfler tones with this check it out
i love mark knopflers tone! stuff like brothers in arms, lady writer etc! his tones are at the top of my favs list!

and his playin is also class!!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 02 Oct 2009, 08:21

Has it delivered yet? :love

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”