Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Reverentshadow
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Metro 50 watt Plexi kit

Postby Reverentshadow » 12 Oct 2009, 18:14

I am in the process of building one as well and the instructions are very easy to follow. cant wait till it is complete. I am also incorporating the variwatt fx power scaling mod into it as well as the lar/mar ppimv. A guy on the metro forum loves the variwatt mod and says it beats any attenuator he has tried to date and he has tried em all including the UA. cant wait till I am finished with this build I am taking my time also. Btw congrats on your build Stephen very nice job I bet it sounds killer. :Thumbs
It feels good out today dont it? I think i'll leave it out.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Oct 2009, 19:58

variwatt fx power scaling mod into it as well as the lar/mar ppimv.
My Granger 50 watt Plexi came with both those mods, both perform as expected and work very well. The Lar/Mar Master is the best out there and the only one I have used that I find acceptable. I bought a extra Lar/Mar kit for my 100 watt Metro but have not taken it in to have it installed yet, the kit is only about $20.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 12 Oct 2009, 20:45

DeanM wrote: Cool! what other amps has he built do you know?

I thought of doin somethin like that before too!! a stripped down handwired VM!! but i thought that if i was going to do an 18watt version then i would prob be better off going for a more classic 18watt marshall clone. there is a few marshalls i really want! 18watt 1974, jtm45, jmp50 etc but i plan to eventually build them. prob after college or somethin. but the VM i was set on buying. i tought once i buy that then il be happy and i can build other amps when i have time/money.

Yeah the CAD type thing is a layout program. iv used Orcad Layout Plus in college. but iv never used it for home stuff/guitar amp stuff.

thats all pretty cool tho!! def looking forward to hearing how that turns out!!
He has built a 50 watt plexi in an old JCM 900 shell, an 18 watter and a modified epiphone 5 watter... they all sound great.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 16 Oct 2009, 16:23

Stephen., check it out...

YOURS... :Thumbs

A Marshall JMP 50 clone by SLIGO on the bay... :thumbsdown
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (281.05 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Seems they need a lesson in how to build one clean. :smash

How's that bad boy doin'? :beerme
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 16 Oct 2009, 17:09

man that build doesn't look the best... and i bet it's a noisy beast too!
I'm loving the plexi Spot... I spent a lot of time keeping the lead dress nice and clean on mine. I didn't want high voltage wires in the path of signal wires etc. Most of the wires I wanted to keep short as possible - to keep everything as quiet as possible. Plus this makes it easier to work on when/if stuff-ups occur.

The 68' plexi kit from metro is a great building block if you are chasing the 'brown sound' or any other classic rock sound for that matter... my build damn near sounds like Eddy's early van halen sound when fully cranked. There are guys on the metro forum that mod and change values of certain components and some of them are almost right on the money for early van halen

I've only cranked my amp once through my brother's quad box loaded with G12T-75s and it sounded huge... loud! I can't get it past 3 without rattling windows in my place so I'll have to wait until I get it in a rehearsal studio before I can test it through the G12H blackbacks http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... =29&t=3842
I'll keep tweaking it over time no doubt. I might change out the bridge rectifier that comes standard and put in some uF4007 Fred diodes. As it is now it sounds awesome. Surf was right when he said "...every player should have one".
:jam

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 16 Oct 2009, 18:50

Aren't the Sligo amps just Metro kits to begin with?
I'd be very pissed if I bought the amp and that's what I got!

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 16 Oct 2009, 19:09

slowpokerhino wrote:Aren't the Sligo amps just Metro kits to begin with?
I'd be very pissed if I bought the amp and that's what I got!
That's 'such a 'fail' to quote my kid.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”