Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

New Addition To The Man Cave

Postby Spotted Dog » 30 Oct 2009, 10:09

Just forwarded payment for this 2007 Dr. Z Galaxie. She is number 76.
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: New Addition To The Man Cave

Postby DeanM » 30 Oct 2009, 10:44

looks sweet!!!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

BNS
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby BNS » 30 Oct 2009, 11:02

Nice! Welcome to the Dr. Z family.

JD23USA
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby JD23USA » 30 Oct 2009, 12:43

Nice ! 6L6s right ? You get a good Price ? :yea
GIBSON LP 'O8 50'S NK STANDARD W/ SETH LOVER PUPS
EPIPHONE SHERATON II
FENDER CUSTOM SHOP '62 STRAT
FENDER CUSTOM SHOP TELE
MARSHALL VM 2266 HD / MARSHALL 6100 HD / MARSHALL YJM 100
FENDER '64 VIBROVERB CST W/ JBL D-130F
FENDER '57 TWEED PRINCETON
FENDER '63 REVERB UNIT RI
FENDER '63 VIBROVERB
FENDER '54 TWEED DELUXE
FENDER '72 RI TELE CUSTOM
MARSHALL 425A
AVATAR (X2) 2 X 12s 1) Hellatone 30 & 60 2) Scumback M75-LHDC
AVATAR 2 X 10 W/ WAREHOUSE VETERANS

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 30 Oct 2009, 14:47

Thanks guys should be fun, its my Christmas present, a little early. Got a great deal, cheapest I've seen from a Z-Talk forum member.

Specs from the site:
Power Output: 40/30Watts (pentode/triode)
Output Tubes: 2- 6L6
Preamp Tubes: 3-12AX7
Rectifier: 1-5U4
Controls: Volume, Volume (ch 2), Treble, Bass, Presence, Triode/Pentode Switch (back panel), Channel Foot Switch
Configurations: Head, 2x10 and 1x12 combos
Outputs: Single 8 ohm
Colors: Black, Blonde, Red.

More info and clips here:
http://www.drzamps.com/galaxie.html
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Oct 2009, 15:38

Congrats, that is a very good amp and one I also considered. You are going to love it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 30 Oct 2009, 16:04

surfnorthwest wrote:Congrats, that is a very good amp and one I also considered. You are going to love it.
Thanks Surf, will try it through the 425 cab, until I find another good deal on a cabinet. Everyone says the are loud, so am considering the Dr Z factory installed master volume mod for channel 2, but won't know until I try it. It is a tone tool unlike the others in the arsenal. Should be here in about a week.

Have you found the sweet spot for yours?

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 30 Oct 2009, 16:34

Spotted Dog wrote:Thanks Surf, will try it through the 425 cab, until I find another good deal on a cabinet.
:yea we all await a review!!

that also answered the Q i was gonna ask! was gonna ask did ya get the cab aswel!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Oct 2009, 20:33

Have you found the sweet spot for yours
Oh yes it is dialed in, the only effect I will use with that amp is the FatBoost, very impressive amp. Nonsense about the 425 being to loud, it will sound great mine is going through 4 Alnico Golds.

Wait till you run both the VM and the Z togther....... :jam

So I got

Faze = Z Remedy
Spotted Dog = Z Galaxie
BNS = Z Maz Jr
Surf = Z EZG 50

am I missing anyone?
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 30 Oct 2009, 22:19

surfnorthwest wrote:Wait till you run both the VM and the Z togther....... :jam
Oh yaaaaaaaaaaa!

I think Faze has 2... :beerme

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Ghostrider » 31 Oct 2009, 07:24

So are those amps just blues Fenderish type amps, or do they make a good hard rock tone also. We have a dealer in Las Vegas but I never looked into them.
Twin 2466 amps

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 31 Oct 2009, 08:19

Ghostrider wrote:So are those amps just blues Fenderish type amps, or do they make a good hard rock tone also. We have a dealer in Las Vegas but I never looked into them.
Seems their spin on "classic" designs has attracted many rabid customers. Fender, Marshall, VOX and other boutique builder influences are represented in their products, but they all reflect the design philosophy of "The Dr.", Mike Zaite.
http://www.drzamps.com/generalamps.htm
http://www.drzamps.com/zamps_GB_2008.pdf

If you check out the Z forum, http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi? you'll soon see their fanaticism.

I would definitely check out your local dealer. The closest one to me is almost 2 hours away and have just not found the time to make the journey, heck I could almost get to Vegas in the same time and turn it into a vacation (maybe even find some girls in bikinis modeling guitars :bgrin ).

Since I am a Dr. Z neophyte I'll offer this from the Dr.'s site about the Galaxie:
The Galaxie is a channel switching (via footswitch) amp that combines classic tweed clean tones and smooth modern drive sounds. The clean channel nails the sweet swirling sound of classic tweed amps that have become the foundation of electric guitar tone. The drive channel is the result of Dr Z’s 20 years of design experience. You’ll find it has excellent sustain and a rich open sound with plenty of gain on tap for today’s needs.

The output transformer is made by the venerable Triad company and is to the original spec found in classic tweed amps like the Super, Pro, and low powered Twin. Great care was taken to accurately reproduce this transformer. Dr Z is very excited to use the Triad transformer in this design.

And a review:
" This is the first time I have ever heard truly Fender style cleans from a Dr Z amplifier. In attempting to solve the age old Fender problem of a flabby low end at volume, most amp designers tend to remove some of their amplifiers low mids. This tightens up the amp, but unfortunately also tends to create a more sterile tone without the bubbly percussiveness that is part of what makes the original Fenders so much fun to play and so sweet sounding. The clean channel of the Galaxie has no such compromises. You get all the reedy, sweet, percussiveness and shimmery clean of a Classic Fender *and* a tight, focused low end. The second channel is a major revelation for anyone who has desired a refined and smooth yet properly aggressive British style gain tone from a Dr Z amplifier and have either found his previous offerings not quite gainy enough or a bit too hard/revealing in the upper midrange. The gain channel of the Galaxie offers simply awesome gain tones that sing and sustain for days with the perfect amount of mid content to sit nicely in a mix, a rock-n-roll style aggression in the top end without a trace of harshness or buzz and a low end wallop that you can feel in your chest with every low note played."

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Ghostrider » 01 Nov 2009, 17:52

Thanks, I will go check some out. I am going to have to stop reading many of these posts here as it could prove to be very hazarous to my wallet. :high
Twin 2466 amps

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Spotted Dog » 28 Nov 2009, 09:26

faze wrote:
Spotted Dog wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:Wait till you run both the VM and the Z togther....... :jam
Oh yaaaaaaaaaaa!

I am happy for you! The Z amps have a vibe all of their own. :Thumbs
Z and VM together will happen soon, it should be interesting! :dance

In the meantime, I just sealed a deal on this last night! Sold a few pedals to a couple of buddies so it freed up some cash. I think my Super Reverb Reissue is out the door soon.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Nov 2009, 10:08

You going to pick up a Ghai also??
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”