tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

orange tiny terror

Postby tramp » 20 Apr 2010, 23:05

Hey,

Played one of these, pretty impressed. looking at this or the dual terror (30w with the ability to drop to 15w and 7w) with either and orange 2x12 or 4x12.

I play in perth Western Australia which has limited venues and alot of places find my 50w VM head too loud and i really have to turn down to be in the mix and as you all know, for some gnarly crunch from a valve amp, you need to be pushing it!!

I love the look of a full rig, but being portable is pretty dam cool.

we're a punchy hard rockin blues 3 piece that flirts with heavier stuff so i need plenty o' balls with valvey crunch breakupness.

just after feedback along the lines of.

Loud enough for most venues? (i.e. pubs)
Volume compared to VM 50w head, (or other 50 w heads)
any obvious flaws, problems design faults?
I don't need headroom but is there anything else you loose from an amp apart from volume, power when going to a 15 or 30 w amp?
why you may have sold one.
and sound differences, apart from volume, between 2 and 4 x 12 cabs.

cheers

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: orange tiny terror

Postby kissfanps » 21 Apr 2010, 09:45

I was just looking at the duel terror also. The videos out there sounds fantastic! I wonder how this compares to the "boutique" EL84 amps out there.

Would this be what the a Marshall "Class30" would sound like? Im assuming the duel terror isnt based off of a plexi circuit. haha (no clue if the class5 is).

In all honesty, what is really the difference between Marshall and Orange tone? They sound awfully similar.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 21 Apr 2010, 14:38

Tiny Terror is a bad ass amp. It has lots of mids, but can get a little fizzy with gain maxed, definitely upgrade the stock preamp tubes.
It works very well for the crunch, hard rock, blues with unmistakable British sound. If you want bone crushing uber deep bass, you will not find it with this amp.
I recommend with Vintage 30s or G12H30 speakers, Greenbacks too if you run multiple speakers.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby tramp » 04 May 2010, 23:32

well i went for the dual and got the orange closed back 2x12. the sound is good, very good!

I'm ordering some jjs because the stock valves are a bit harsh. apparently these harbour good resulsts. i know what you mean about the fizzing out Manalishi.

It says on the site that it doesn't need biasing for the power tubes! Does this mean retubing is just a matter of pulling out the old and slotting in the new?? is there still risk of electrocuton? Because you don't remove anything but the shell to get to them!

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 05 May 2010, 18:12

I have an AD15 and volume wise that little thing is louder than shit, hope that helps. I used it for a party last week in a 12,000 sq/ft warehouse with 2 drummers, keys, 2 guitars, bass, trumpet, harmonica, 2 back up singers and had no problem keeping up volume wise with room to go louder.

I am pretty sure the AD15 is very similiar to the tiny terror with maybe less gain? Anyways, hope that helps, I love that amps tone.

Edit- Regarding the tubes it is most like "insert word" based and essentially self biasing so just throw in what you want to try out and go from there. Don't run a screwdriver around it to see sparks and you should be ok. :laugher

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby tramp » 06 May 2010, 22:04

Yeah i took my new baby to my guitar teacher, He's been playing since 1962 and learned to fix his own amps in that time. He showed is that yeah its much like changing 8 light bulbs (ok, more carefully of course!)

I read a few things online and there are many varying suggestions of things to do once the tubes are in (i.e. leave it on standby for a couple of hours, start playing at low volume, face the amp north and stand on one leg) and they all seemed to differ!

Anyone have a good routine they wanna share? Is it just a matter of don't crank it 5 mins after replacing.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 10 May 2010, 21:19

I always just plugged them in, bias the power tubes and play normal....which is cranked! After some hours rebias and you're done.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 11 May 2010, 15:38

I don't think you need to bias the Tiny Terror.

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby tramp » 11 May 2010, 17:09

Yeah the website says you don't.

I've just chucked them in and taken it easy at first. then turning it up and rocking out!
I get to give it a good loud thrash on thursday at band practice and we're recording some demos this weekend too.

Man the jjs sound alot better! much more articulate when there's gain. My treblebooster actually does what i want it to rather than create more mud!

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”