slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Okay, now I AM crazy!

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Aug 2010, 19:23

This is too weird.

Just out of curiosity I hooked my Fender Super Champ xd to my Peavey 6505 (preamp out of xd to effects return of 6505) and damned if it isn't the best tone I've gotten in years!
I still don't have a proper cabinet so my other guitarist Greg was gracious enough to loan me his homemade 2x12 with unknown speakers (he made it about a decade ago and doesn't remember) and I wasn't impressed by the 6505 with it. Just didn't have any punch and sounded "hollow". Try as I might, I could not dial in the tone I was looking for. Not to mention it was loud as hell!
Using the xd as a preamp, this setup will kick your ass even with the volume (xd) on 3! It sounds HUGE!
None of the controls on the 6505 except the presence and resonance work, everything is controlled by the xd.
I cannot wait until I run this through a 4x12.

I must admit, the xd sitting on top of the 6505 sitting on top of the 2x12 looks pretty retarded, but with the tone I'm getting I'm finding it really hard to care.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Okay, now I AM crazy!

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Aug 2010, 19:37

Shit happens, what ever works, it's not like you can't put a Mcdonalds bag over the Fender and hide it.

I finally ran my JMD's send into the FX Return of the 2466 but I am keeping that information to myself.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Aug 2010, 19:44

Guess I could always hide the xd behind the amp. :laugh

mety
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby mety » 24 Aug 2010, 02:34

surfnorthwest wrote:Shit happens, what ever works, it's not like you can't put a Mcdonalds bag over the Fender and hide it.

I finally ran my JMD's send into the FX Return of the 2466 but I am keeping that information to myself.
Why?
See my post here:
http://marshallvintagemodern.com/viewto ... f=2&t=5887
Gibson Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary Custom, Les Paul Custom, Les Paul Standard, SG Special Faded.
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus,
Custom-Made CH Iommi SG Standard.
Boss GT-10.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 (2007), ]JMP50 (1974), 2203 MkII Master Volume. (1979) Orange TH30 (2011)
Marshall Vintage Modern 425A, 425B (2007).
Marshall 1960A (1978) 1960B (1980). (G12T-75's)
http://www.sabbatica.co.uk

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 24 Aug 2010, 09:31

Yes, Mety, and I went ahead and tried it out right after I mentioned it and saw you had liked it. But I was keeping it to myself too, lol. :laugh

Slowpokerhino, good idea to hide the XD champ behind the other stuff. You'll have people running out to buy 6505s to get that awesome sound. :pimp
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted

Postby slowpokerhino » 24 Aug 2010, 15:06

Beck-Ola wrote: Slowpokerhino, good idea to hide the XD champ behind the other stuff. You'll have people running out to buy 6505s to get that awesome sound. :pimp
Isn't that kinda like what Billy Gibbons has been doing for years. Stacks of Crates on stage but little fender combos mic'd up backstage?

This has gotten me thinking. A digital preamp into a tube poweramp. Isn't that what the JMD1 is? I've been looking to try one of these out but none of my local shops (GC, Sam Ass or mom & pop) have it.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 24 Aug 2010, 15:36

Yes, that's what the JMD is. The way I see it, it is a tube amp with a digital preamp. It's a small distinction but it emphasizes the fact that it's a brute tube amp after all.

I find a real advantage to this approach. I assume the preamps were modeled on some of the finest classic amps handpicked from among Marshall's collection. You would think they used prime specimens for modeling and also would have used the best NOS preamp tubes to represent the best Marshall tones. And then tweaked to perfection. That assures a level of consistency and reliability. No more obsessing about which preamp tubes in which slots. Then that goes into a conventional output section, including phase inverter tube and EL34s, O.T., NFB loop, etc.

I've found that different output tubes have quite an effect on the sound. I wouldn't be surprized if Billy Gibbons started using a JMD:1. I know he was using a JMP-1 for a while.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Return to “Valve Amplifiers”