Moderator: longfxukxnhair

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: CLASS 5 BAD RATTLES

Postby SteveD » 11 Nov 2009, 02:44

That is of course a larger magnet by 6oz but does not make the Class 5 speaker's magnet small or even fairly small. It is regarded by Celestion as a large magnet. The Class 5 speaker is certainly not cheap.

OK so you don't like the amp, let's move on!
Still my guitar gently weeps

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 11 Nov 2009, 03:31

Certainly, but I thought it was better to try to explain *why* I didn't like the amp, rather than to simply say "I don't like it", which is pretty pointless. The reason I posted it on this particular thread is because I got the impression from hearing it that the way it sounds and the fact that a large number of them (although as I said, not the one I tried) seem to rattle may be related. None of this is meant personally, and I'm quite sure there are many people who love the amp. I'm also aware that the realities of mass production and the amp market are now somewhat different from twenty years ago. I hope they get it sorted.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 11 Nov 2009, 03:58

I am not taking offense or taking anything personally.

In the big picture the number of these complaints cropping up is certainly not "large" although obviously we don't want any and we continually work to solve any QA issues.

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 11 Nov 2009, 05:38

Just like to backup SteveD's comments. I emailed Marshall's techy department when I first experienced this problem. Received a reply from one of their QA Engineers:
'We are aware of some vibration and/or rattling issues with the C5 of which are currently subject to an in-depth investigation. Any remedial action required will be implemented as soon as possible.'
The wheels are turning!
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby rvin28 » 11 Nov 2009, 05:53

It is a very good amp.
In my opinion its not a cheap build and the headroom is fine.
It appears that a collective number of very small issues that have created a problem which I am sure that Marshall will resolve in due course.
My gripe is that its tone is pleasing to my ears (I'm not deaf or have my ears filled with cotton wool) and for home use it seems perfect - just that the rattle is annoying and needs to be cured once and for all (my 3rd amp doesn't at the moment, long may it continue).

And it is very loud for a 5 watt amp (and yes, I have other another low wattage valve amp (4 watts) which is also loud!)

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby ClubAndCountry » 11 Nov 2009, 10:51

If you're comparing it to another similar-sized, single-EL84 4W amp with a 10" speaker, it might seem fairly loud... but it is *not* "very loud" for a 5W amp. Go and compare it to a top-quality 5W amp with a 100dB 12" speaker and you will see what I mean. Of course, through an efficient extension cab it's a lot louder, but I would still say not exceptionally loud for 5W. Maybe if you're comparing it to a typical cheap practice 5 watter with an 8" speaker, it is. (That's why most people don't realise how loud 5W can be.)

It also has very little headroom. There was next to no clean volume on the one I tried, even though the overdriven sound was a fair bit louder. Maybe if you just want it for overdrive, that's fine - it is a Marshall, of course! Although I actually like Marshall cleans at least as much as the overdrive. It's true that no amp is for everyone, but having read so many glowing reviews about this one it was just disappointing. There's probably no point in saying more since it's clear that we have different expectations about what a 5W amp should sound like.

parvulesco
<25
<25

Postby parvulesco » 11 Nov 2009, 11:25

Kongels wrote:So not to start a panic but are the one's coming to the States all the improved ones?
Apparently not. On at least one other forum, there are many reports from the USA of the rattle issue.

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 11 Nov 2009, 12:04

The other amp that I am comparing it to is a matamp Little Rock that was built for me 2 years ago and yes this runs through 100dB celestion 12" speaker. Granted is a 6V6 output valve but at 4 watts this is equally 'loud'.

I don't want to get into the debate of watts versus sound pressure to determine loudness.

My newer Class 5 has a great deal of headroom over the first 2 - any changes Steve D?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 11 Nov 2009, 12:19

rvin28 wrote:The other amp that I am comparing it to is a matamp Little Rock that was built for me 2 years ago and yes this runs through 100dB celestion 12" speaker. Granted is a 6V6 output valve but at 4 watts this is equally 'loud'.

I don't want to get into the debate of watts versus sound pressure to determine loudness.

My newer Class 5 has a great deal of headroom over the first 2 - any changes Steve D?
No changes as far as the circuit and sound.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 11 Nov 2009, 14:47

rvin28 wrote:The other amp that I am comparing it to is a matamp Little Rock that was built for me 2 years ago and yes this runs through 100dB celestion 12" speaker. Granted is a 6V6 output valve but at 4 watts this is equally 'loud'.

You might have a really clean sounding power tube. It does happen.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby ClubAndCountry » 11 Nov 2009, 15:59

"My newer Class 5 has a great deal of headroom over the first 2"

Now *that* is interesting. Maybe the one I tried was unusually low-headroom, and not particularly good sounding? It sounded like it was 'working OK', but it would be hard to tell for sure, with a sample of one and having never heard one before. The one I tried certainly would not compete with a Matamp Little Rock through a V30. (I know someone with this amp.)

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 11 Nov 2009, 16:43

You might be correct.

I have just finished a jamming session this eveing using the 'newer' class 5 and my 89' USA standard std. As the evening progressed the amp (possibly the speaker) appeared to settle in. I found that I was turning the mid & bass up and the treble down (well strats are brighter sounding at the best of times) to achieve a really nice, vintage and well balanced tone. I have to admit that I have had the amp about three weeks and this is the first time that I have used it for any great period of time. I must say that it is difficult to tell that it has a 10" speaker (i can understand the comments about headroom with my DSL201, which before I fitted with a V30, sounded completely different when used through a 2 x 12 greenback loaded cab)

This particular amp seems different to the first 2 that I had and in hindsight perhaps the earliest ones i had appeared overly 'bassy'.

I'll keep you posted as the amp breaks in a wee bit more but this one appears to be very good!

:clap

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 11 Nov 2009, 16:47

How did it hold up volume-wise within a band setting?

rvin28
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rvin28 » 12 Nov 2009, 16:12

No jamming with another guitarist - no drums etc

Below 5 with a strat it i possible to get a SRV type sound - after a couple of hours the amp/speaker was loosing up and sounding better and better.
I was doubting this little amp myself with all the comments/video clips etc. but it is truely a good little amp.

It would need to be miked for a bigger venue to get that 'just' broken up sound i.e semi clean. I don't think that it would hold its own a against a drum kit before going into a very distorted area - depends on what style of playing you want to achieve.

How about a class 10 or class 15?? But this would defeat the idea of a smaller 'home' type amp.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 12 Nov 2009, 16:38

rvin28 wrote: How about a class 10 or class 15??

:Thumbs :Thumbs :Thumbs :Thumbs :Thumbs

Return to “Marshall Class 5”