Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Encore
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 55 times
Been liked: 19 times

NAD - Marshall Class 5 Combo MK1

Postby Encore » 23 Jun 2012, 15:54

Funny thing is that I've bought this amp second time. One year ago when I ordered my AFD, guys from Music Store told me that I'll have to wait for it for about six monthes. So I decided to get myself a tube combo amp and ordered this Class 5 amp. After I played it at home with my Strat (I didn't have an SG at that time) and without any boost/overdrive pedal, I understood that it sounds a little different that I've expected)) I wanted a lots of gain so I could get that AFD/UYI tone.. So I returned this amp back to my local music store, added some cash and got my Vintage Modern 2466.. :)

During last year I came to that local music shop sometimes, and Class 5 combo was always standing in the same corner. Nobody bought it.
Some time ago I decided to get myself a little combo amp for practice and also I wanted to have a guitar amp in my parents house. And then I thought, why shouldn't I give this Class 5 combo another try?))

Now I must say that this as an awesome little amp! I am choosing a boost pedal for it at the moment, as you can see on the photo (two tube screamers). I have tried a TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez TS9 and Maxon OD808.. Most of all I like TS9 and OD808. Added some reverb and delay, and now I feel like a bluesman! :smoker
Amps: AFD 100 - 1960 AV - Vintage Modern 2466 - Class 5 Combo MK1
Guitars: Gibson SG Standard (SD APH-2s) - Fender Stratocaster Highway One

TubeStack
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: NAD - Marshall Class 5 Combo MK1

Postby TubeStack » 23 Jun 2012, 17:43

Very nice! Cool story about how it came back to you. I love my C5, such a great around-the-house tube amp with killer Marshall tone.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Jun 2012, 19:40

Nice story. I don't know, I might be the only one who thinks that the Class 5 has to much gain. I have the head and I retubed it (got rid of those JJ's) :whatever to calm it down a but which it did. They are great little amps.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Jwalkin
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1466 times
Been liked: 1363 times

Postby Jwalkin » 24 Jun 2012, 05:36

Encore great story, I'm glad you gave the Class 5 another try... I have found she has alot to offer. I am drawn to an amp that fits in with a groove without needing to tweak eq. After I have set the Class 5's dials, I haven't needed to re-adjust; control knobs on the guitar I'm playing, compliment the Class 5 well.
I was Jwalkin when it hit me

Encore
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 55 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Encore » 24 Jun 2012, 15:37

Thanks guys! :beerme
Class 5 has a lot of gain but with the Volume set to 6 and more. It is not a problem, but sometimes I want to play at lower volumes.
I also decided to add an Ibanez TS9 to my pedalboard (or pedalfloor :) ). Maxon may be about 5-10% better, but it costs $50 more than TS9 (both are used). And TS9 is little brighter than OD808. I thinks that it is good, because Class 5 has more dark tone at lower volumes.
Amps: AFD 100 - 1960 AV - Vintage Modern 2466 - Class 5 Combo MK1
Guitars: Gibson SG Standard (SD APH-2s) - Fender Stratocaster Highway One

Return to “Marshall Class 5”