Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Crunchifyable
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Joined the club :D...better late than never

Postby Crunchifyable » 21 Sep 2012, 15:45

So yesterday, the UPS guy dropped off a new C5 head for me. Double boxed with extra care from sweetwater.

She's a beauty..love the rubber knobs. Can also smell the rubber o-rings burning in the back...but hope that smell goes away. But yeah, really like the engineering that went on there, to eliminate valve rattle. Hope they start to apply that to other combos.

So tried it out first thru my Blackstar 1x12 semi-closed back combo. Warm speaker.

The cleans were really amazing. A lot of people give the amp grief over being dark, but to me, best cleans of any amp I've had. Really 3d, I swear there's a chorus in there or something. Headphones or cab, still get the 3-d effect. Doesn't really sound like a small amp when clean at all, sounds every bit as full as a 40 watt 6l6 combo, and every bit as loud at least with both amps on 1-2. But then again, I'm using PAFs at first that probably give me more headroom. Maybe I just have a really low gain tube in V1 or something, but takes a lot of boost to get some grit at lower volume settings (under noon).

With a bit of a clean boost / eq pedal, easily into hendrix territory with single coils. Definitely likes bright pickups and is a great pedal platform.

The drive is good, but still learning how to get high gain without muddyness from it or a mushy low e string.. OD Pedals do sound great and really tighten it up though, but I'm used to playing for the most part with no diode distortions, just clean boosts and eqs.

4x12 helps.

JCM900MkIII
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 14 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Joined the club :D...better late than never

Postby JCM900MkIII » 22 Sep 2012, 00:45

Congratulations!!!!

And yes, driving multiple speakers makes it even better.
Personally I have the combo version with a 4x10, open backed.
Sounds a lot better then a single speaker (I also have a single G12H30).

One thing I have noticed is that swapping the powertube will bring a bigger change in grit then the pre-amp tubes (switching pre-amp tubes alters the color of the sound)

Have fun!
a.k.a. Roadburn

H&K Tubemeister 18H
Class 5 reminder, do not use EL84M
1965A (G10L-35's)
2001 Gibson LP Standard
Fernandes Custom

TubeStack
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 22 Sep 2012, 05:21

I love my C5 combo, play it almost every day.

Congrats and enjoy the head.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 22 Sep 2012, 07:46

Ive got the combo myself. I may sound like a broken record but a treble boost with the C5 really brings it to life. The amp dimed on its own is a good sound but anywhere between 11 - 2 o'clock on the volume wirh the TB is cool as hell to me. Congrats and welcome to the.club!

Crunchifyable
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Crunchifyable » 22 Sep 2012, 09:45

Thanks guys...and yeah...using an eq as a treble or mid boost seems to work pretty well to clean up the amp's overdrive. I have found that with a bright open back speaker I don't necessarily need a treble boost.

that's interesting JCM900 - but kinda makes sense if you're running it to the point when it the el-84 starts to crunch up. Really really like the overall clean sound of the amp, so probably going to with the same JJ tube when it comes time to replace it.

LUVMACHINE
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby LUVMACHINE » 22 Sep 2012, 13:16

very nice! Congrats!

David Corrales
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby David Corrales » 22 Sep 2012, 17:16

Grats :) I asked at the store today and they'll have some heads available in the upcoming month or so... hope to join the club then as well!

I love the looks of these little amps, so so classy.

romeomotive
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby romeomotive » 24 Sep 2012, 16:41

Yeah, love my Class 5 head. Just spent about an hour playing through a 412 with V30s. Wouldn't sell/trade it for anything. I am glad I got it before the buzz of all these 1 watt heads came out...no gas for them at all. Enjoy!

romeomotive

Return to “Marshall Class 5”