I disagree with the headphones mod Orpheus777 proposed

Marshall Class 5

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

werus
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

I disagree with the headphones mod Orpheus777 proposed

Postby werus » 06 Nov 2012, 03:04

We all know that the headphone output is too hot to connect directly to a mixer when the gain is high. And a fixed resistance is not suitable because the changes in volume between the clean and the overdrive sound are quite large. So, yes, the solution is to put a volume pot to the headphone output to suit the gain of the amplifier. But, to my ears, the mod of Orpheus777 greatly affects the sound, completely removing the bass range. I have tested it with C5 and a CD player, to get a full range reference, and as I say, the bass range disappears when the signal is attenuated. However, I tested inserting a pot of 5 Kohm "in series" with positive headphone output (in the Class 5 and CD player) and the results have been very satisfactory. Any of them may detect some kind of loss. I certainly do not. But, of course, in my point of view, this proposal is far better than Orpheus777 mod (sorry, Orph). I made the change with 5Kohm to have room to spare but for the Class 5, I am always between 1 and 2 Kohm (with high gain, of course).
So, I recommend you leave, like me, a 5 Kohm potentiometer and then exchange it for one that fits over the range that best suits your case (under 2 Kohm on mine). I built a small box connected to the headphone output and has a connector where I connect the mixer. Of course, within the box is the pot. To me it is working very well and allowed me to record and listen to the amp with headphone without getting dull. I recommend putting it in an accessible place, since the gain variations affect the regulation of this pot. You give more gain to the amp, you lower the output signal power. Reduces the gain of Classs 5, you raise the power of the output signal. It's easy.
Sorry I can not agree with you, Orpheus, but it was my duty to speak in this forum, where there are many users of Class 5 who may be interested.
My knowledge of electronics is very basic but enough to ensure that this change does not adversely affect any device, Class 5 incl. Otherwise, I would ask the forum members who corrected me sooner to safeguard the lives of our amplifiers (mine included).
That's all, folks.

werus

Re: I disagree with the headphones mod Orpheus777 proposed

Postby werus » 07 Nov 2012, 01:37

A clarification. These values have worked with a very concrete mixer. Once I could try it with others, I have found that the value of resistance needed to connect the Class 5 to a mixer can vary greatly. At home, some worked well with the attenuated output at 5 Kohm (like for headphones) that I quote in the post, but others need much more attenuation to avoid saturating. For headset itself seemed to work for different names and models. The conclusion is that it will be necessary to have two separate outputs, a headphone out (with 1-2 HKohm) and a line out. When I have time I perform these tests and give values that work for me. Do not forget that each one must adjust the values to your specific case, but I think it will not vary much of what I say here.
Anyway, I like the sound of the Class 5 but I can not understand why we have to be doing these tests and modifications (instead of playing the guitar) if the device should come as standard with a headphone output and a line output, something that the factory could increase the cost of the amplifier in a ridiculous amount (two pots and one jack). The standard headphone output is so hot it is useless, you can go deaf using headphones or break one of the mixer channels if you connect to it (what were they thinking when they designed this output?). A slap on the wrist for Marshall. Next time I trust this brand I will focus not only on the sound, I will look also other details that do not make me, after buying the amp, need to be doing other things than play guitar. Finally I get (we get) but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that will affect future purchases. Of course.
When I have more specific values will write.
Until then, a greeting.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 07 Nov 2012, 09:50

Thanks for the information, I agree.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

GuitarBuilder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 288 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby GuitarBuilder » 07 Nov 2012, 21:18

I have a hard time believing that the 30 Ohm pot that Orpheus recommended caused loss of bass. Your proposed 1-2 KOhm is very large compared to that and to the 100 Ohm resistor that is already in series internally. Are you sure you're wiring the pot correctly? And what's with the reference to "high gain"?
Marshall 6100LM - 1960A Cab/G12T75
Marshall JVM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
Marshall JTM-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12H30
Marshall JMP-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12M20
Marshall JCM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/Vintage 30
Marshall DSL-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
BOSS Katana 100W Head

Kemper Profiler Rack

Custom Rockman Stage Head
Rockman Superhead 100W
Custom ADA MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2 Stage Head

Roland GR-20, GR-55, VG-99, BOSS GP-10, SY-300 Synths

Lots of Les Paul's and Strats

werus

Postby werus » 08 Nov 2012, 04:01

Hello GuitarBuilder:
Orpheus proposed "in parallel". I propose "in series". The values ​​have nothing to do in each case. Orpheus sends part of the signal to ground before reaching the out ("in parallel"). What I propose is to put a brake to the signal before it reaches the out ("in series"). If you have not noticed anything with the modification of Orpheus and are happy with it, go ahead. In my case I did not like the change because I felt completely lost the bass range. So I tried another way to do it, and the success that gave me, I wanted to share it with you. I'm pretty sure the connections I'm doing and how I'm doing. So do not worry. As for the internal resistance of 100 Ohm, as you will see, is "in series", not "in parallel" and maybe that's why the output is so hot. I do not know if it's a design mistake or have a purpose, but note that the headphone output in Class 5 standard, is useless, or as headphone or "Line Out". Do they have missed a zero in the design for this resistance? (I suggest 1 Kohm and they put 100 Ohm) ;-)). And I can assure you that for days I'm enjoying my Class 5 with headphones (Sennheiser 550) and, for me, the results are fantastic. I can only say that.
See you (write you).

GuitarBuilder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 288 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby GuitarBuilder » 08 Nov 2012, 10:16

I think you misread Orpheus' post. Here it is:
"Simple Class5 Mod!!!

Good news for CLASS 5 owners!!!!

It would seem that a good deal of us Class 5 owners would love to have better volume control. Most if not all
have already heard of the Headphone trick....Do this it works great!!! I recommend the making a stereo plug for
your internal speaker route, as this works perfectly, is simple to do and costs about 4 bucks. But still no volume
control and way to loud to actually use with headphones and those damn lows??? Well I experimented for about
a month trying several options and mods and at the end of the day found a solution that costs around 20 bucks
and is simple to do and to my ears far superior then any attenuator/pad approach. It even helps with the lows
and gives the amp a more PLEXI sound...
What is it....simply put a drop out POT in SERIES with the Headphones out...
I suspected that you tried it in parallel - that would definitely not work!
Marshall 6100LM - 1960A Cab/G12T75
Marshall JVM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
Marshall JTM-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12H30
Marshall JMP-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12M20
Marshall JCM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/Vintage 30
Marshall DSL-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
BOSS Katana 100W Head

Kemper Profiler Rack

Custom Rockman Stage Head
Rockman Superhead 100W
Custom ADA MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2 Stage Head

Roland GR-20, GR-55, VG-99, BOSS GP-10, SY-300 Synths

Lots of Les Paul's and Strats

DirtySteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 537 times
Been liked: 362 times

Postby DirtySteve » 08 Nov 2012, 11:12

I have it on mine, bought the pot from Orpheus and it works great. It cuts a little bit of bass and to my ears tightened the bass response a little. I love it!

werus

Postby werus » 12 Nov 2012, 01:01

Ok, Ok. I do not want to attack Orpheus777. I am a recent owner of a Class 5 and had the problem of the headphones. When I looked for a solution I found that the solution of Orpheus was the most accepted and I did it. As the results were not satisfactory for me, I tried another workaround. And as this new solution seemed (to me) more satisfying, I put it here in the forum. That's it. The person who is happy with the change of Orpheus, I have nothing to say.
And I've read the post of Orpheus and I understand perfectly. Moreover, I clarified with him privately that his proposal is "in parallel", not "in series", as he said in his first posts. And everyone who has tried the change, if it has "in series", have noticed that 30 Ohm "in series" do absolutely nothing. In my proposal, the minimum to not stay deaf with headphones is around 300 Ohm "in series". That's 10 times the proposed Orpheus. (But remember that Orpheus proposes is "in parallel").
Finally, I repeat again that I'm just proposing an alternative solution to that of Orpheus. In no way am I saying that everyone should do mine (although I have found the most appropriate).
For those who are interested, after some final adjustments, I will give the exact values ​​that have worked for me. I think this afternoon will realize the final adjustments.
See you later.

werus

Postby werus » 15 Nov 2012, 02:16

Well, my job is over. :Thumbs I have my Class5 with headphone and line out. And I think with very satisfactory results (at least for me). The final values ​​I put into my box are:
- 300 Ohm fixed resistor to the headphone output
- 1 Kohm pot for headphone output
- 100 Kohm fixed resistor for line out
- 100 Kohm pot for line output.
Remember, these have worked for me but someone may need to adjust them to their individual devices.
:Cheers :Cheers :Cheers

Attached is a pdf with the connection diagram.

Now I can continue doing what I love.... :shredder
Attachments
Class5 Headphones+LineOut.pdf
(58.12 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

werus

Postby werus » 29 Nov 2012, 03:55

Well, 14 days after giving a solution to the horrible design Class5 headphone output and seeing that the interest in this solution is gone, I think that this forum, like many others, is manipulated, so I take my leave and will not return.
I will not look the answer to this comment, if someone would answer me, and blot out this forum from my list of favorites.
Bye.

Sigi M
Marshall Museum Curator Friedland Germany
Marshall Museum Curator Friedland Germany
Has Liked: 1977 times
Been liked: 2724 times

Postby Sigi M » 29 Nov 2012, 04:49

Yes, all Forums are manipulated!
....and I get a lot of money for doing this.

Sigi
http://www.marshall-forever.de
https://www.facebook.com/MarshallAmpMuseum?ref=hl

Life is short, so let's rock ! ..................and Marshall forever !!!

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 29 Nov 2012, 10:40

I bet you do look. Although I am impressed with guys like you that can do things like that the truth is that most Just Dont Give A Shit. Common sense says if you need all that then buy another amp but that is too simple. The selling point of the amp is you can crank the thing at reasonable levels (2 choices) and get great Marshall sound. Your bitching falls in the same argument when folks complain that the low power mode is "jus missin somethin". I view the low power mode and the headphone (HeadPhone) as courtesy. Just nice to have if needed. What is the Hell Bent priority anyway for taming the Headphone out so it will feed a mixer when there are devices created a long time ago for that. The BullShit microphone is one that comes to mind. Obviously created by someone that took his talent, wrapped it in common sense and produced something worth his time. Go your ass away please Mr. Knowey.

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 86 times

Postby djw171 » 03 Dec 2012, 05:36

I'm a regular reader of this forum and posted many times, did I miss something?? Why is Werus so pissed no one answered him? Was an interesting enough topic, he stated his findings and preference in the mods he chose to carry out..i dont get it? why so hostile? some people.......

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 03 Dec 2012, 08:30

djw171 wrote:I'm a regular reader of this forum and posted many times, did I miss something?? Why is Werus so pissed no one answered him? Was an interesting enough topic, he stated his findings and preference in the mods he chose to carry out..i dont get it? why so hostile? some people.......
I was asking myself the same question and walked away blaming my english...
If I owned C5 I would definately tried his diagram and thank him for the effort.
:dunno

Return to “Marshall Class 5”