Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Captain Dog
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Class 5 Head question

Postby Captain Dog » 19 Jan 2013, 05:15

Today i plugged my guitar, turned on the head and no sound. dimed the volume almost full, hit some chords and nothing. Played some note and i heard me playing but fully distorted from the inside of the head. Looked at the back of the amp and i realized that the cable was half into the headphones input but the small switch was in speaker selection and NOT Headphone mode. Turned off the head, plugged the speaker, turned on tha amp again...normal sound.

The whole thing without a speaker connected lasted about 10-15 secs max.

Any possibilities that i have damaged the amp or i am lucky?

Somewhere i saw that the class 5 has a circuit protection in case of running the amp without load. is that true according to the class 5 schematic?

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 73 times
Been liked: 279 times

Re: Class 5 Head question

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 19 Jan 2013, 06:01

I'm no expert, but if it's working, it's working. Right?
Many Marshall's, and I want more.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Class 5 Head question

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Jan 2013, 08:48

Captain Dog wrote:Today i plugged my guitar, turned on the head and no sound. dimed the volume almost full, hit some chords and nothing. Played some note and i heard me playing but fully distorted from the inside of the head. Looked at the back of the amp and i realized that the cable was half into the headphones input but the small switch was in speaker selection and NOT Headphone mode. Turned off the head, plugged the speaker, turned on tha amp again...normal sound.

The whole thing without a speaker connected lasted about 10-15 secs max.

Any possibilities that i have damaged the amp or i am lucky?

Somewhere i saw that the class 5 has a circuit protection in case of running the amp without load. is that true according to the class 5 schematic?
No you're amp is ok, if it is plays normal you escaped damage. It would blow a fuse before the damage would happen. How sentitive the amp is to damage is different between every amp based on the design, but as a rule just don't do it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall Class 5”