Moderator: longfxukxnhair

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 8 times

MC5 with Iso-Cabinet?

Postby FullMetalHippie » 19 Jan 2013, 16:41

I finally bought the C5 Head and am considering pairing it with an Isolation Cab (probably the Randall) for practice and recording. Has anyone here gone this route? Do tell!

*ffs the emoticon festival on the left almost put me into a seizure...
Marshall Class 5 Head
ESP LTD EC-1000T/CTM Traditional Custom (the Cherry Sunburst w/Duncan Alnico's)
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: MC5 with Iso-Cabinet?

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jan 2013, 04:52

The Randall ISO cab is a good one, I owned that for a bit to try it for recording. I always felt like I was missing something recording with it and no longer have it. They work as advertized but not sure it would be necessary with a 5 watt amp. If you want to be able to crank your amp up and really know the sound down in the room your in then they work well.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 20 Jan 2013, 09:12

Since I am in an apartment, and since the cranked sound of the C5 is better than a distortion/OD pedal, I was wondering if the Isocab would be able to bring down the volume enough so the wife won't hear it in the next room.

I had hoped that a Weber mini-mass w/headphone tap would be the key, but I bought one and the sound is buzzy and unusable *weeps* so I am returning it.

**And later when we get into a house, I might port the Randall IsoCab so it can breath and have more mids (but it would be a little louder, like a silent sister I realize)
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jan 2013, 09:52

FullMetalHippie wrote:Since I am in an apartment, and since the cranked sound of the C5 is better than a distortion/OD pedal, I was wondering if the Isocab would be able to bring down the volume enough so the wife won't hear it in the next room.
She won't hear it at all, even with a 100 watt amp they are really quiet, don't even consider a attenuator with that amp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 20 Jan 2013, 10:39

Thank you for the great info! Now I can focus on getting the isocab instead of a pedal! :Cheers
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 20 Jan 2013, 11:30

You can use some headphones to monitor you sound while you play or use your studio monitors from your interface. When you set up the mic in that cab put the headphones on and have someone play a muted open string repeated while you move it around to find the sweet spot. You will be able to hear the difference in small movements of the mic very well with the headphones. Once you find it lock it in and your set.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 21 Jan 2013, 15:55

Have you heard anything about the AxeTrak Iso cab? It has a 6-inch speaker which sounds ok in the demos. I read some people bash them not sure why?
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

Return to “Marshall Class 5”