Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Class 5 Ext Cab Tone

Postby Cousin Muely » 02 Feb 2013, 12:39

Has anybody noticed the ext cabs sound kind of boxy? Theres a big difference in the sound of the heads into the ext cabs vs the combos on there own. Combos just sound better and I'm starting to think maybe a closed back cab with a different speaker might be the way to go for the heads. Also, I am stil running the stock tubes in everything. In short, what I am saying is can I get some thoughts from my forum members on some ideas. Im having a hard time getting a tone with all 4 amps. Just basic classic rock with a Les Paul and Strat is what I am looking for. I have been using a Treble Boost to drive them and on the combos it sounds great but on all 4 I just can't nail a combination. Maybe a differen OD? Shit, I don't know. In the pic The combos are in the middle. I like this setup and for me it is plenty of volume for any playing out I may do. Any ideas guys? Im open for suggestions.
Attachments
122412142810.jpg
122412142810.jpg (306.25 KiB) Viewed 2625 times

dukealexan
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Class 5 Ext Cab Tone

Postby dukealexan » 02 Feb 2013, 13:01

Some times it can be difficult to get open and closed back cabs to jell. The sound waves from the back can cancel or enforce those of the closed back. Room size and shape plus furnishing can also play with it. Try stuffing a pillow in the backs of open backs or pull them away from the walls.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 02 Feb 2013, 13:12

They are all open back. I have moved them around working on the tone.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 26 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby FullMetalHippie » 02 Feb 2013, 15:06

Have the speakers all had a full break-in period? Had to ask. If so, it seems odd that an open back cab would sound boxy. Maybe the amps are taking up some space in the combo's where that isn't happening in the stand-alone cab. TBO I bought the head version to pair it with various cabs. Since you already have the combo's maybe sell/trade the cabs towards a 4x12 or 2x12 like the open back Orange (made in China but people prefer the tone for vintage stuff).

*You did what I would have also done by putting the cabs at the bottom to add weight, and I like the bare bones vintage style of your pedal board. I bought my C5 for the character of the tone, not for a perfect homogenous tone, which is defo not the tone in my head, lol.
Marshall Class 5 Head
ESP LTD EC-1000T/CTM Traditional Custom (the Cherry Sunburst w/Duncan Alnico's)
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 02 Feb 2013, 15:56

Well, the ext cabs easily have the least amount of time on them. I had 1 combo initially and bought the rest at the same time to complete the rig. I loved the way the 1 combo sounded cranked with the treble boost but that usually is not enough for band volume on its own so i went with 4 C5s. When i got the heads, cabs and additional combo i did notice right away there was a difference in tone between them. The combos just have a lively feel to them but the ext cabs have taken some work and i have never gotten them to sound as good. I may try some 2x4s under them to see if isolating them from the floor will help.

Yeah, my pedals are simple. Treble Boost, Wah, Phase 90, Voodoo Amp Switcher, Tuner from Voodoo.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 02 Feb 2013, 16:00

Also, that pic of my pedal board is old. I have also experimented with that MXR 10-Band from time to time as well as the Micro Amp pictured trying different volumes on the amps. I still think they are at there best at 3/4 volume and up. I go back and forth. Y'all know how it is.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 02 Feb 2013, 16:23

How much break-in time have the cabs had? Knowing that would be a big help.
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 02 Feb 2013, 16:45

Hard to say. I play through several amps based on my daily moods. I just recently got back on a mission again to get this rig like i want. It's just odd to me the combos just sing when boosted but the ext cabs are just a bit of a struggle. The newest combo was fine right out of the box and mated well with the other one but like i said earlier the ext cabs do sound different from the combos. Just not as live sounding if that makes sense. Combos are harmonically richer to my ears.

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 03 Feb 2013, 10:36

For whatever reason, the stock speakers take longer to break in (or the sound is changed more by the breakin period) than many others. If the cabs have less than 20 hours in them, maybe try just using the cabs and heads for a few weeks and then do an A/B comparison with your combos. Then you can better decide if the cabs work for you.
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 03 Feb 2013, 13:36

I agree. Everything just needs breaking in more and i do tend to play the 1 watts way more than the Class 5s. I did some breaking in today. I spent a good 4 hrs while the wife was out workin on everything including running them through my PA. I think one of the biggest reasons in the tone difference is the ext cabs are just more open inside with the lack of electronics in them like the combos. It was time well spent though and i came to terms with some things. I do like the way my treble boost and Les Paul sounds into one or two of the combos but into all four its just too much gain and just doesn't come across the same. Took that off the board and just went with the Amps Cranked, Wah, Phase 90 and an MXR Micro Amp. The Micro Amp is set for a slight kick for leads and it adds that bite we all know with a Les Paul/Marshal. I can live with this now. Connected my PA up to the amps with some Echo through the board and now I am getting damn close. Next is upgrading the tubes to smooth out the overall tone but until then I am going to wear out the stocks breaking in the speakers. Appreciate yall conversing with me on this. I feel better now :Thumbs

FullMetalHippie
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby FullMetalHippie » 03 Feb 2013, 17:57

You got it dude. I bet in a few months the cabs will sound great, and yes a bit more open, which suits classic rock and blues perfectly. (I've read of many people prefering Orange's open back 2x12 to the closed back for anything but death metal).

Cheers!
Marshall Class 5 Head
Fender Jazz Bass (MIM)

eastwood6
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Postby eastwood6 » 08 Feb 2013, 14:07

My ears heard the opposite, I thought the C5 combos sounded very boxy and constricted, and the head plus C110 extension cab a bit more open and full-toned. Truth be told, I wasn't happy with either sound and settled in on using my C5 head with a larger closed back cab (in my case, a mid-80's JCM 800 era 1965B with 4x10's). With Marshall gain tones I prefer the thump you get with a closed back cab, and the 1965 has more whomp then you would expect from a relatively small cab.

That's quite a wall-o'-Class5's you got there. A thing of beauty, must sound killer!
Marshall 3203 Artist 30 head
Marshall 1965 A & B 4 x 10" cabs
Marshall C5H Class5 head

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 08 Feb 2013, 16:15

Thanks eastwood. My thoughts on the tone of the combos was purely based on them being boosted with my treble boost pedal and les Paul. Really great rock sound and if I had a gig that only required the combos then the TB would definately go back on the pedal board. Just a rich distortion sound. Truth is, the heads and ext cabs were not just added for more volume but it also made it easier for me to connect my Radial JDX boxes for a signal to my PA. That puts my delays, reverbs, etc post amp and that sounds best. I just wouldve thought since the combos sounded so great boosted then the heads and cabs wouldve just doubled that sound somewhat but it didn't work out that way. I am enjoying the even more straight in approach though with everything just cranked and its a nice classic sound and a little cleaner. I might down the road get a couple of 1936 2x12s and se how that combination works on its own with just the heads and PA. I bet through a 4x12 like you have is a killer sound also.

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 86 times

Postby djw171 » 13 Feb 2013, 05:46

That's a cool looking rig Cousin! So the two bottom cabs are C10's and combo's in the middle? Sorry if I've missed this in another post, how do you have them hooked up? Are you playing through all 4 amps at once?

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 13 Feb 2013, 06:27

Yes. Thats the way its set up and I do run all 4 amps. I use a Voodoo Lab amp switcher. It has 4 switchable outputs for amps plus an always on 5th out for a tuner.
Attachments
120412154409.jpg
120412154409.jpg (334.23 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

Return to “Marshall Class 5”